Practice with the swede.

aister

I haven't shot my 6.5x55 for quite a few weeks now so with the dry but windy morning (20mph cross wind) I thought I would have a simulated stalk. After pinning up my target I went for a short walk and returned 120 yards from the target and fired my first three bullets from the top of a post. I did the same thing again except I used my sticks and finally 3 shots from prone. All 9 shots were fairly rushed but sure shots all the same. The three shots below the heart were from off the top of the post, the 6 in the heart were from the sticks and prone.

What I would like to ask those that have more experience than me, would the three shots below the heart be kill shots or would I have been looking for a wounded deer.

The deer in the picture is meant to be a white tail but I estimate it to be the size of a roe (the squares are an inch).

DSCN1443_zps588e4b3f.jpg

Obviously deer don't come with images of their heart pinned on the side, I am sure this dragged your aim point down a little of that which you might normally take. Deer can of course go a long way on three legs but are easy enough for a good dog to find, especially if its on it quick and often present a second shot when they go down and then get up again anyhow. Why not try the new DSC 1 target without a discernible aim point on them on the face.

I say this because I have always found the high heart shot is far more common on real Deer in the field as people estimate it a little higher than it actually is. Just bear this in mind and keep your aim up slightly were you will get more into lungs and high heart. You might as well practice on a beer mat as a deer with a heart printed on its flank to my mind.

20 mph full value wind from improvised stances and its a very acceptable std of shooting even if the heart picture dragged your aim point down some and far better practice than 100 shots prone off a bipod and back bag like many get obsessed about