Hare today.

JDog

I took the dogs out early this morning and after the usual constitutional I sat at my desk pouring over the latest offerings on PW. When I looked outside I saw a three quarters grown leveret sitting in the middle of the lawn. There are stone walls all around the garden which the hare could not climb so it must have entered through the gate which unusually I left open.

This was too good an opportunity to miss and when it had returned from whence it came I took Jasper out on an extending lead, sat him down and asked him to 'find it'. The scent must have been strong as he was very keen and I encouraged him to find it by using his scenting skills knowing that he would not be able to chase the hare.

Some may say that the dog did not get a reward for his efforts. For me it was a controlled environment not unlike the rabbit pen method and I was secure in the knowledge that the hare would be unharmed as a result of this brief bit of training.