Poor start , decent finish

fenboy

I managed my first flight for around 3 weeks this morning , been a bit rough with one thing or another the last couple of weeks so it was good to get out at last.

I loaded the car and headed off to the wash.

Things got off to a bad start when I got my chestwaders from the back of the car to find that my lab had decided to eat a large hole in them on the journey :mad:

At least it was well up a leg so I managed to avoid a wet foot , the dog must have made 40 trips with my waders in the back this year and has never touched them before .

High tide was at 6am and with the creeks full on my walk down I was surprised that there were several duck already on the main creek as I walked down , even if the gun had not been in the slip it would have been to dark to get a shot though.

I sat having a cuppa waiting for it to light and could hear a few widgeon and some teal buzzed over my head .

As day started to break I got my first chance when a widgeon came down the creek nice and low , it flared up as I raised the gun but was not quick enough and crumpled to my first shot, the dog had seen it drop and was soon back after a short swim.

I missed a few chances at shots at teal that always seemed to come from the opposite direction I was looking , but eventually I caught one out that flew low across the front of me , I dropped it on the mud at the far edge of the creek so again a simple retrieve for the dog.

So great to get out and two for two , but I need a new pair of waders !

Sounds as though you had a nice little flight. Pity about the waders. If you are after a new pair I got some cheapish DIWA ones a few years ago and they are still going strong.

Yes I will certainly need some new ones , these have been very good so will order another pair the same , I have a pair of neoprene ones I can use in the meantime .