A very nice pair

lakeside1000

Got up at first light and looked out the window, my planned day decoying pigeons went straight down the drain, low cloud, grey, no wind and cold, but determined not to give up , I loaded the van and headed out to the nearest permission, usually plenty of birds but it was dead, not a thing on the ground or in the air, moved on to a second site but just the same, so nothing else for it, it would be a walk and shoot around a farm I rarely visit but that always has plenty of pheasants wandering about, 20 minutes later I pulled into the farm and parked up, grabbed a pocket full of cartridges and my new ( to me anyway ) Remington 3 shot, as I walked around the end barn out into the first field 4 pheasants lifted and sped off into the distance, no chance of a shot, crossed the dyke into the field and disturbed a huge roe dear that had been nibbling the new barley, she took off and I watched her disappear into the next field, no interest to me but the farmer hates them, if I had a FAC I could clear them out for him, but no good with the shotgun, after walking for some time I came down a bank onto the edge of a large pond, two mallards lifted from the grass on the other side, I stood still and watched them climb and circle out away from me, but to my surprise they turned back and came directly overhead, I was very glad I had decided to change to steel only shot as they rose above my head, I singled out the drake and one shot he was down into a cabbage field 20 yards away, in the bag and moved on, walked out another 20 or so pheasants but they were already spooked from the shot on the duck and were away before I could get in range, so back to the farm to clean up,

I thought just before I go I would have one last look in a small wood at the end of the farm garden, there was a good chance of a pheasant hiding up, so I moved around the outside of the tree line and sure enough out popped a cock bird, saw me too late and was airborne only a few seconds before I got a bead on him, just a single shot and he was mine,

Only 2 hours out and a very nice pair of birds for the pot, cleaned up and home for lunch, maybe some pigeons next time if the weather picks up.

post-27014-0-62775900-1420560435_thumb.jpg

Edited by lakeside1000