Fired .303 cases and re-bulleting

cant hit rabbits 123

Evening one and all,

An arty friend of mine is doing a project related to the two world wars, mix of media's including sculpture and so on. Anyway, part of the idea is to use second world war ammunition for various aspects. Being the consulting gun owner I've somehow managed to get myself into helping with this side of it.

Anyway, after it was explained that getting hold of world war two ammunition would cost an arm and a leg, plus it being highly illegal for her to do, she moved on to looking at collectables shops and so on and found inert ammunition for sale, however .303 seems to cheaper to buy live from Prvi than these inert collectors pieces.

My point in hand; how difficult and costly would it be to source some fired cases (without preference to how new or old they are, just cheap) and seat some bog standard solid bullets in them? Would it be possible to do 'unskilled', or would it be necessary to buy a lee load all or some such?

Quick note to any Mods reading, I'm not entirely sure if this should be in reloading, but then again its not really reloading, just bashing some heads into empty cases.

Anyway,

Thanks chaps!

She just needs a cheapie reloader, fired brass, and FMJ heads.

A brand new Lee loader would cost £28 from Kranks, 100 .303 FMJ bullets from the same place is £17.26. If she can get once-fired brass (wanted ad on here?) she can reload her own dummy rounds, and still sell the Lee loader afterwards.

I did look into reloading them, with a view to buying all the equipment, components and so on. Did the old spreadsheet magic and it doesn't become economical to do so until 76.13 units have been made, and with an up front cost of £89.29. She currently wants only 30 or so and can only assign around £25 max from her budget. Think I'll suggest using empty cases and abandoning the idea of live-looking ones.

I did look into reloading them, with a view to buying all the equipment, components and so on. Did the old spreadsheet magic and it doesn't become economical to do so until 76.13 units have been made, and with an up front cost of £89.29. She currently wants only 30 or so and can only assign around £25 max from her budget. Think I'll suggest using empty cases and abandoning the idea of live-looking ones.

Seriously, for £25, I'm sure you'll find someone on here that reloads who would be willing to knock up 30 or so multiple-fired/knackered brass (they don't even need to resize them) and seat into them cheapie FMJ heads.

Ask in the 'wanted' section

Yeah, the main problem is the low quantity really, as Fister (Who made the kind offer to begin with) says, very few people will regularly use cheapo FMJ, which forces one into buying far more than needed, hence wasting a lot of money. I have sourced once fired brass for £5 for 25, but the issue of having to buy 100 bullets still exists.

Just a thought, would it be possible to seat a bullet without resizing a fired case? If so, I might be able to knock up something to facilitate that, I only then have to source a smaller quantity of FMJ.

Now, that would be a rather fantastic plan! Just on to the guy with the brass trying to negotiate postage, he wants to courier them which would cost more than the brass itself.

This is turning out to be worth more than a few pints, might renegotiate with her to get some pub grub thrown in too.