Land drainage question

Wildfowler12

I think it will be sufficient for a 100ft2 garden, perhaps another length in the bottom left hand corner. However the illustrated land drain will be practically useless unless the impervious clay layer is graded to fall towards the land drain. When you get heavy rain the water is just going to pool on top of the perched layer.

It would be best to lay a 600mm wide layer of permeable geotextile over the top of the drainage shingle before filling with soil. You shouldn't need a silt bucket if you do this but make sure there is access at some point in the system so you can jet it if necessary in the future.

Also if you have any large areas of paving just connect a small yard gulley in too or a line of rain drain at the lowest point.

Problem is if you go too far the lawn will always be dry and brown. :yes:

Do you know how deep the clay layer is ?

Edit...looking at the picture again I would be tempted to dig a few shallow trenches about a spade width x depth into the main french drains shown simply filled with shingle wrapped in geotextile. This will form a grid over the whole area to be drained and avoid the need to grade the clay layer as above.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

My back garden runs down hill to the house and we have a slabbed drive up one side which the water runs down , so we put herring bore draining in and ran that to a waste water drain i put in under the side garage at the side of the house , it all helps but when its really pouring down the water still floods the side garage as the drain cant cope with it , and once a month i still clean out the **** down to the pipe