Sportac moderator

Sussexboy

From a review on Gun mart

Evolution of the species

The Sportac is a Reflex design, extending 106mm backwards and 170mm beyond the muzzle. A centrally knurled, 2mm wall thickness aluminium tube contains 6, 3D machined stainless steel baffles with the front aluminium locknut acting as a seventh. A modular build means the barrel mounting spider and stainless insert appropriate to your muzzle thread can be retrofitted along with calibre specific baffles. A tool is supplied allowing disassembly for cleaning and the back end of the spider is a 40mm hexagonal profile, allowing it to be rotated using a large wrench. Assembly is simple but as always, I would recommend a smear of copper slip on threads and then re-tightening firmly when hot.

The design has echoes of older A-Tec models but shows a couple of modifications including a small 3mm grub screw locking the muzzle thread insert into the spider. This prevents over tightening of the mod from effectively dismantling its innards. I would have specified a larger screw had it been my design (I similarly modified an A-Tec thus a few years ago) or perhaps a left hand thread could have been used as a simple solution to the problem?

I don't think the boss will like me sticking it in the oven! I may heat it in the bbq over the weekend.

Just wrap it in foil he won't notice, LOL

However you can, joking aside I have done this a few times with seized mods, a gentle steady heat without scorching works on most but not if the thread has "picked up"

A caution though if using heat the break free agent may be flammable ?

Good luck!

I had a similar problem with my A-Tec moderator - I couldnt get the front two sections to unscrew.

I got two cheap rubber jar openers from the bay and unscrewed the offending sections instantly. I dont know if this is similar to your Sportac mod but might be worth a thought.

I then cleaned all the sections in an ultrasound cleaner and its like new.

Thanks for the thought, but on the Sportac the front part I need to unscrew is inset and there is a special tool provided to do it with. It's going on the barbie this afternoon (indirect heat only) to see if that will free it up. If not then plan z is probably a bath in some diesel.

Several cycles of heating and cooling will help free it. Or heat a 'female part' whilst keeping the 'male' part cooler - bit like running a stiff jam jar lid under a hot tap.

Only needs a 100C or so - not anything crazy.