Favourite shell for crows

We shoot 1000 of crows per year throughout our county and only shoot RC Sipes #6 32g. Quite expensive, but with a UK size of 5.5, it makes these a very hard hitting shell. I have tried cheaper alternatives, but we don't get the same returns. Out with wildfowl season, the bulk of our shooting is crows, so on our experience, Sipes are the answer.

We shoot 1000 of crows per year throughout our county and only shoot RC Sipes #6 32g. Quite expensive, but with a UK size of 5.5, it makes these a very hard hitting shell. I have tried cheaper alternatives, but we don't get the same returns. Out with wildfowl season, the bulk of our shooting is crows, so on our experience, Sipes are the answer.

I load my own RC Sipe copy, same powder and 32 grams of #5.5 shot, and if you can put it the right place they do the job. I used Gamebore's Clear Pigeon previously but found they didn't have the same knockdown power.

I load my own RC Sipe copy, same powder and 32 grams of #5.5 shot, and if you can put it the right place they do the job. I used Gamebore's Clear Pigeon previously but found they didn't have the same knockdown power.

Interesting, as I only ever reload steel shells for the Wildfowling. I've never even cut open a Sipe, so what powder and wads do RC use in them?

Interesting, as I only ever reload steel shells for the Wildfowling. I've never even cut open a Sipe, so what powder and wads do RC use in them?

RC usually name their cartridges after the powder they use in them, so the RC Sipe use Nobel Sport's Sipe powder:

http://www.nobelsport.it/public/pages/ENG/schedapol.asp?ProdottoID=562&FamigliaID=0

I'm not sure what wad RC use in their Sipe cartridges but I use Cheddite's Aquila H24 in mine and get some decent patterns with them through half choke.

I recently bought some game bore pigeon extreme, 34gram No5 shot, they were a pretty devastating cartridge on crows, but a tad too much for pigeon too much meat damage. Around £8.50 per 25

I tried some of those on crows last week , my god they spanked them !

Guest stevo

I tried some of those on crows last week , my god they spanked them !

they are rapidly becoming my all time fav shell ,

if its a case of just getting the job done , these shells will do the lot !

I had a genuine 50 yrd crosser the other evening , bottom barrel ( mod) and it dropped it like it was 30 yrds , absolutely pillow cased it ,

fenboy , I finally got my CG stock altered , its spot on now .

edit to say mod choke not imp-mod ( that's my top barrel )

Edited by stevo