BSA Maxi-grip scope rail

Gamekeeper

I have a Lightning with a standard Hawke scope and mounts, and I have never been able to keep the sights zeroed in for more than few shots at a time. They keep jumping off. I suspect it is the mounts, which were supplied with the combo: I cannot get them fitted snugly on the rail.

Looking back to previous threads I see that the Maxi-grip rail fitted to the Lightning is slightly wider than the standard scope rail. It seems to be about 13mm wide compared to 11mm for other rifles. So standard mounts do not clamp onto it properly. (Thanks for that BSA.)

Now I'm not a handy man so I don't want to mess about with shims and things. How can I order a set of (reasonably cheap) mounts and be confident that it will fit the Maxi-grip rail? The adverts in the magazines don't seem to distinguish betweem different mount sizes.

Does anyone know the real score with this? What's the point of a non-standard grip rail anyway?

Thanks - there was indeed, on AirGunbbs and AirGunForum.net, which I didn't know existed. Looks like I can get the necessary mounts (BSA Scopemaster) from Uttings for £17 to £30.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' experiences in buying Lightning combos. Are they usually fitted with the right 13mm mounts, and was I just unlucky, or is this a widespread problem?

i had a lightning a few years ago with an AGS scope. simply could not get it to hit the same place twice, and it was noisey even with the silencer, in the end gave up with it and bought a shotgun, never looked back especially as i am now getting a .22lr for quiet work