6.5 creedmoor brass forming

just been playing with different brass 243 and 308. 4 different makes. think I have now got it sorted so very happy.

1452200157568_zpstxroxxmh.jpg

1452200554632_zps5c3sn1x5.jpg

lft is 308 MEM. right is the 6.5creedmoor

All i need now is the rifle in hand.

oh god!, it's worse than waiting for Christmas...... again.

I did the same with 200 RWS 308 cases but then I brought back 400 Hornady 6.5C from the US at Xmas, just waiting for a range date to go and play with the Ruger, only shot 10 rounds of subsonic through it so far :)

Only thing I'd say is to keep an eye out for neck do-nuts after firing, use a neck reamer (or the lathe) and get them down to about 12 to 14 thou"

There's a good article on forming 6.5C here,

http://www.65creedmoor.com/?topic=487.45

Edited by phaedra1106

i'll fire form them all and brake the barrel in at the same time so with luck, ill be able to spot the dougnuts. im not finishing the necks just yet, waiting for the ruger still so cant measure the chamber size until its landed.

i was not going to pay hornady prices and its not the best brass for the money really.lol

with more luck the eld's will be here at the same time

£43/100 for the Hornady in the US or more than double that from BrownellsUK :no:

Next trip over I may pick up some Lapua or Norma depending on what's available, there was only the Hornady in Nov/Dec.

For the 308's I trimmed the length down then ran them through a Lee 6.5C FLS die, then had 1.5mm removed from the bottom of the die and adjusted it down until (on second sizing) I could close the bolt without much effort on a test case. After that trimmed all the others to length and chamfered/de-burred. They were spare cases so not bothered if they end up getting tossed after use, basically I was just looking for something to do while waiting for the Ruger to arrive :)

When you get yours I'd advise a thorough wipe over inside and out with something like 009, the amount of brown carp that came off it was amazing!, even the inside of the barrel, certainly didn't look like it had been fired at the proof house.

Edited by phaedra1106