Very quiet on farm.

vole

I shoot on farmland which is mostly pasture for sheep.Few acres only with a couple of copses where I pick up the odd woodie,crow or squirrel.Occaisionally I get lucky with a rabbit.i dont have a dog and depend on shooting whatever is there or comes into roost but the last couple of weeks there has been nothing about.I try sitting under cover,then i walk up the hedgerows.Its not the end of the world as I have my fishing etc but is there anything to do to make things happen?Would like to thin out the magpies especially.Thanks fellers for any help.

I shoot on farmland which is mostly pasture for sheep.Few acres only with a couple of copses where I pick up the odd woodie,crow or squirrel.Occaisionally I get lucky with a rabbit.i dont have a dog and depend on shooting whatever is there or comes into roost but the last couple of weeks there has been nothing about.I try sitting under cover,then i walk up the hedgerows.Its not the end of the world as I have my fishing etc but is there anything to do to make things happen?Would like to thin out the magpies especially.Thanks fellers for any help.

Wait till you next shoot a rabbit. Open it up and leave it somewhere visible, maybe use a crow call or similar. Hide. Be patient. All sorts of things may well come for a look....

try in the evening as it,s going dark for the rabbits :good:

as for in the daytime get a dog to flush things from the hedgerow .

also get a lamp and try after dark for the odd fox and rabbit if in dout go with a decent touch like a 4 or 6 d cell mag to see whats about before spending too much ?

hope this helps ;)

Have got a lamp and after what i hear i think you have got it spot on.my shift work and family commitments make it easier to go out in middle of the day but with some effort and such i think i could get out of an evening.Would love to bag a fox.Saw one last week and stalked it but it just disappeared when i thought it was in range.Thanks for the ecouragement guys.

Have got a lamp and after what i hear i think you have got it spot on.my shift work and family commitments make it easier to go out in middle of the day but with some effort and such i think i could get out of an evening.Would love to bag a fox.Saw one last week and stalked it but it just disappeared when i thought it was in range.Thanks for the ecouragement guys.

Thats the way. patience is the key. I remember once trying the same trick. Saw nothing for three days. Tried again a week later. Put the rabbit out, went to my hiding place, turned round before I sat down.

**55dy stoat was dragging my rabbit away! Cheeky swine. Taught it a lesson though...

There's many different ways and you'll find what suits. Someone can have the patience to wait for hours, others have to be on the move all the time. Loads of advice on here with tips and tricks.

Sometime, try the sitting out thing though. Once the wildlife around you settles down, it is amazing what comes out to play.

Sorry didnt answer the question.

Decoys might be worth a go, although my experience with them is very limited. I guess for pigeons it is helpful to find some kind of flight line and try to divert them from it.

Try making a nest with eggs in and maybe try a crow or maggie decoy.

Hope this helps