Mentor removal

Ruster

Hi I m in the process of trying to get my mentor condition lifted, my mentor is happy with my shooting/gun safety and is doing me a letter to send with my FAC.

While sending it in I am also going to ask them to remove my .243 and add a .308 which I would need to be able to use on any lawful animal as it would be my only centre fire rifle and at the same time get a less restrictive licence so I don't have to keep getting land added to my licence when I am asked to take care of pest problems on farms.

Would I be better off just keeping it short and sweet with bullet point requests or fluff it up abit to try and show them I know what I'm doing a bit better?

Are you mostly deer stalking and shooting the occasional pest, or the other way around? If you have deer conditioned on your ticket and have land for stalking a .308 could be justified, if your after pests, foxes, rabbits or corvids you may struggle to get a 308. Either way they will probably want you to have more experience/time with a closed certificate before they make it less restrictive, but until you ask them you never know.

I shoot mainly deer but the farm I shoot request I keep the fox/rabbit populations down to (got hmr for the rabbits) oh and got offered the chance to shoot boar a couple of times but couldn't as I can't with a .243 so would need the .308 and I would need an open ticket to do so as they only want shooting there when there is a problem not as a regular weekly stalk

I have had a mentor for close to 5 months now we have been out a lot and I have shot over 200 rounds with him there

Edited by Ruster

5 months is not long.Mentor position as I understand it is the letter from the mentor confirming he/she is happy with your shooting/safety etc.However your feo will wander why after just 5 months 243 no longer appropriate?would not asking for a slot for deer/boar and an additional 30 calibre slot be better approach so you dont jeopardise the mentor condition being removed for your current rifles?just my thought?