Nipping Pup.

Laird Lugton

So we have a 10 week lab pup who is adorable.

Having a small problem that I would like some advice on. With me and the wife the pup is fine, no nipping etc but we are fairly confident with the dog, we let him lick out hands and have a good sniff about etc.

Our two children are not so confident with him, when he come up to the three year old she freaks out which he thinks is an invitation to play and then he occasionally nips which I understand is entirely natural. However the advice in the books is to squeal, turn your back and ignore him. However this is pretty impossible for a three year old. I should stress the children are never left alone with he pup!

Short of separating the two which we are doing at the moment as we have a pen we can put him in this isn't a great long term solution.

Thoughts?

Edited by Laird Lugton

Supervision! Sorry but a three year old cant work to the plan and most 3 year olds are as fizzy as it comes, the dog picks up on this and things " great play,play,play" squeeling and making a big deal out of how much your hurt when the puppy makes tooth contact is exactly the right thing.