Existing Hides in Rape Fields

Shining Wit

On both of my shoots in Cambs I use existing hides is in the middle of rape and pea fileds made from either pallets or straw bales.

I can shoot in any direction because there are no roads, houses around etc. So, which is the best place to set up the decoys? I usually use an arrowhead type formation with most birds facing into the wind. But, should this formation be on the windward or Lee side of the Hide, or something else. what do you think guys? Is it best to have the hide at the tip of the pattern so the birds fly in straight towards you? What about the side? How does the positioning of my Rotor affect this?

Secondly, is it better to use a portable hide somewhere on a flightline rather than a permanent hide in the middle of a field which my not necessarily be on a flightline.

Shining Wit,

Welcome to the forum.

Well I would set up the decoys, after judging which way the wind is blowing, on the day you turn out. I'm sure everyone would prefer the wind at their backs.

I use the horseshoe or comma style pattern most of the time. As regards the rotor, I have found that it is best at the head of the pattern, so the birds have to fly into or just over the pattern to get at it.

I don't think anyone can give you any hard and fast rules as to where the hide should be, except for under a strong flightline, as pigeons are fickle creatures and what works one day may not work the next. One thing I do know is you have to get out there and try the pattern and hide, and if that doesn't work be prepared to move the pattern or the whole hide if necessary. I was told by a good friend of mine, a few years ago, that if you hadn't shot a pigeon within 35 minutes of setting up........move on......try elsewhere. He should know he shot pigeons for years as a professional pigeon shooter. That advice has worked for me lots of times.

By the way, did you really choose your name on the forum knowing what it could be shortened to ?? :D<_<

SW, the great advantage of using "permanent" hides, is that the birds get use to them.

However, if they are being well used by you, or other shooters, the birds may well keep away from them.

If birds start going to other parts of the field, that will be the time to look at setting up your own hide, along a boundary hedge, or wherever is available.

Like most shooters, I prefer to have the wind at my back, but if I shoot from the same hide location quite regularly, I will deliberately change my decoy layout, so the birds keep seeing a different "picture".

The one consistent thing is, that my decoys always face whatever wind there is.

A great setup is, when the wind is left to right, (or right to left), across the front of the hide, place the decoys facing the wind , about 30/40 yards past your hide.

This means that most of the birds will fly past your hide, to get to the pattern.

The crossing shots can be testing.

Be flexible and ring the changes.

Welcome to the site. :D

Also, I am using Clear Pigeon 32g No6. If I set up a hide at the ende of the field rather than using the one in the middle, in some places I may be shooting towards a road or towards a footpath or buildings.

How far away should I be to be safe bearing in mind a shot could be at any angle?

Is 200 yards enough?

As far away as possible! :D

I would say 200 yds minimum because the shot may still be travelling if u shot at the right angle also people on the roads or footpaths can see you and may get a bit worried seeing a gun pointing at them (remember they dont know what type of gun it is- could be a large rifle for all they know!)

If there is a house, road or footpath near to the field I am shooting in I always set up with the object behind me, so i know it will be safe.

Hope that helps,

Tody