Shotgun Certificate

Pigeon-Shooter

Hi,

Im new to this site and i was wondering if you could help me with a problem i have.

How old do you have to be to have a shotgun certificate, what age do you have to be to shoot a shotgun, Im 15 and have a certificate with the gun under my name am i allowed to shoot in private land or not? What are the rules of keeping a shotgun in my house? Many Thanks PS

Hi PS

Welcome to the Club.

I strongly reccomend you make contact with your local Firearms Officer. Every regional police station has one. If he is anything like mine he will be a great help and provide all of the printed information about Shotgun Certification and the law you could ever want.

Also visit www.basc.org.uk/content/shotgunpractice. for answers to your queries.

Basically; Provided a shotgun certificate is held there is no restriction on possession if aged between fifteen and under 17 but a shotgun cannot be hired or bought.

There is no lower age limit for the granting of a shotgun certificate but under 15 you can only possess a shotgun if in the supervision of a person over the age of 21

When not in use shotguns must be stored in a secure place, usually a police approved British Standard Firearms cabinet.

FM.