OMG The farmer is sowing Peas and wheat

Kikkan

Just wanted to say im so existed with the text message I got from the farmer that I have "shooting rights" over!

(PS not shooting the farmer lol) :good:;)

Last year I said to him: You should sow peas, because its mayhem for the pigeons!

And he replied: Hmmm not sure, but maybe ill give it a go some time.

Today I did send him a text message asking what he was sowing, and he said Peas and wheat!!!

Just can’t wait until the 20 August (season opening for hunting)

BTW guys, I have never shoot over peas before. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Or is it straight forward like any other grain?

As I don’t know much about peas... just that it’s the pigeon favoritte, can the pigeons hit the field before the peas are done for harvesting?

What part of the peas do they eat? (Maybe a stupid question) but I mean do they also eat the plant or just the peas inside?

Just wanted to say im so existed with the text message I got from the farmer that I have "shooting rights" over!

(PS not shooting the farmer lol) ;) B)

Last year I said to him: You should sow peas, because its mayhem for the pigeons!

Today I did send him a text message asking what he was sowing, and he said Peas and wheat!!!

BTW guys, I have never shoot over peas before. Does anyone have any tips for me?

As I don’t know much about peas... just that it’s the pigeon favoritte, can the pigeons hit the field before the peas are done for harvesting?

What part of the peas do they eat? (Maybe a stupid question) but I mean do they also eat the plant or just the peas inside?

(PS not shooting the farmer lol) :lol::P

Hi Kikkan, one of the best times for shooting over peas is when they are first sown, also when they are harvested, because of spillages and poor seed planting, some of the peas get left on the surface and for a couple of days the pigeons provide excellent sport until it is cleared up. It would be good if you had the date or timing of the harvesting so that you could prepare.

Nice to hear from you and good luck.

:good: D2D

Ahh, ok... To shoot the pigeons right after they are sown is not an alternative.

The reason for that is that they are already in the ground and if I do shoot them, it will not be so many when the season starts.

In Norway you are not able to shoot before the 20th August, but if the birds are ruining the crop, then you are allowed to shoot them.

Let’s just say I planted the peas 1-2 weeks ago... how long would it take for them to be done for harvesting? (Approx?)

Ahh, ok... To shoot the pigeons right after they are sown is not an alternative.

The reason for that is that they are already in the ground and if I do shoot them, it will not be so many when the season starts.

In Norway you are not able to shoot before the 20th August, but if the birds are ruining the crop, then you are allowed to shoot them.

Let’s just say I planted the peas 1-2 weeks ago... how long would it take for them to be done for harvesting? (Approx?)

Kikkan in this part of the world most of our pea growing is done under contract to Birdseye (large frozen food packers) and their own teams do all the planting etc right through to harvest which is generally 8 weeks after they're drilled. Unfortunately the drillers are so good at their job these very little if any spillage and consequently not much activity at the front end. When the crop is harvested again the combines hoover the fields and there's precious little left for the birds but if we're quick we can sometimes catch a few days sport. Last year we had a big field that didn't make the Birdeye grade and the crop was left to rot. We had two weeks of pretty spectacular sport then it just turned off as pigeon shooting is wont to do. What happens with your crop? Does it go for human consumption or animal fodder? Unlikely it'll last until August but you never know. We expect some early harvests around here thanks to the weather everything is galloping away.