Under 18 year old applying for fac and sgc

Younggun15

I'm 16 nearly 17 and I've been shooting with my father since I was about ten. I was just wondering if I have been gifted a firearm. Do I have to be supervised to shoot it or am I allowed to use it on private property I have permission on unsupervised? Because I know that you can use a shotgun unsupervised on private property from the age of 15

No,must be supervised for a firearm,with the fac holder present at all times.shotguns slightly different but again technically you are still under the supervision of the landowner/sgc holder.clearly you are not able to be gifted a firearm at this stage.(in law).I presume your father has the land and firearms certificate and may have said son this gun is for you...that however is not the case 'in law'.Once you have your firearms certificate it will depend upon the conditioning put on it but I would expect,initially it will have a mentoring clause that will take you to 18. This is my understanding BUT please have your father with you when you are interviewed for your licenses and ask the FEO who comes to see you(from the police).Remember the land must also be approved for the calibre and purpose for which it is intended to be used..Best of luck.

Thanks for that I knew I had to be supervised by my father when I don't have certificates but I was just wondering about if I got granted my fac and sgc

Here you go, straight from the firearms guidance......................

7.28 When a parent or other adult wishes to purchase a firearm to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies for presentation to a young person between the ages of fourteen and under eighteen, both the adult and the young person must be in possession of certificates, or other lawful authority (for example, as would be given to a member of a cadet corps). The former will need the authority to enable them to purchase, and the latter to enable them to acquire and possess the firearms and ammunition. The same principle would apply to a shotgun to which section 2 of the 1968 Act applies for presentation to a young person between the ages of fifteen and eighteen. In some cases the parent or other adult may wish the firearm to appear on both certificates for reasons of joint storage. However, the supervisor of a young person over the age of fourteen need not be a certificate holder.