HMR bullet expansion

Wind drift is often brought up in the hmr arguments, yet the compartive test at 100 yds show it less affected than 22

The 17hmr is often the natural progression from a .22lr which will at least double the ranges you have been used to. There may be little wind at the edge of a field by the hedgerow but 100yds out in the field the situation could be totally different. The little 17gr bullet can get buffeted around quite a bit more than a 40gr bullet and speed does not always cure all. As I have progressed up the calibres I see this more and more especially as I have gained more knowledge of ballistics. The want to shoot faster and flatter is fine but it comes with the unpredictability of a hotter load, a heavier bullet is more predictable, it may drop more but that curve is consistent and can be allowed for,

the hmr is a little better in the wind than the .22 but it is similar in my experience. both get blown by the wind.

why not do some testing with the ammo at different ranges into different substances. This will show you if the bullets your using are working.

when reloading my 223 i tested soft nose, v max and hollow point shooting into wood, and other objects to see how it expanded. needless to say the v max made large channels in soft wood compared to the hollow point and soft nose.

my experience of the hmr at closer ranges, the hornaday v max 17g expand very well in deed deadly on crows/magpies if hit square. but once i shot a rabbit at 30 yards and the bullet strangely deflected at a close angle off bone and went out the rabbits ear not killing it and not expanding. maybe it was a bad bullet i don't know.

i'm glad i sold the two hmrs i had. prefer .22lr for many reasons.

If a bullet hits a bone then it expands radically, if not it may depending on its construction expand slightly or just pencil through. I have had Vmax pencil through, I have had them create big holes, have also had match bullets create big holes or in one case almost behead a 6 month old cub. You never know what you will find but place the bullet correctly and the target will go down.

A