Feast or Famine

grasshopper

Took a half shift hol last night so finished at 1am,mulled around a while on here then got gun etc ready.

Got to the shoot about 3 30.Passed a fox cub on the road,had to avoid it actually.It was only the size of a football and nowhere near our shoot ,so it,s safe from me..glad to say it wasn,t lying flat on the road some 4hrs lata when i came home. :)

Anyway had a call when dawn broke(4 10)nothing showed so off into the wood for a stalk.Visibility poor with all the foliage but spotted a fox lying on a bank some 70yds away.Got on the sticks but she had moved behind a tree.For the next 10mins i watched her 3 cubs (about half grown)playing,fighting and just being cubs.Unfortunately they were less than 200yds from 1 of the release pens so was trying to get mum.No clear shot at her,but as usual had the pick of her cubs time and again,when what appears .. you guessed a young buck who proceeded to chase off all the foxes and not present me with a clear shot at him. You have to laugh :)

Moved on about 350yds,and sat down under a tree to wait and see what passed,when after only 6/7 mins i hear a rustle to my right and sees a small dark movement along the side of a stream..bloody squirrels i thought,only to see a foxes head appear some 10yds away.

Slowly turning round she was unaware of me,and when i got the x on her she was less than 20yd.

Her teats were dried up and she was in good condition so am assuming hers are weaned.Will be going back tonight for the others as i found the set so will check where she was heading as i,ve an idea where hers was.Shot in behind the ribs and out the centre of her chest with Sako 90grn

post-3981-1179991512.jpg GH

Will have to do the cubs stalker,would not shoot mum and leave them..it,s all or nothing!!!

Was actually not bothering any fox till after the silage cut,but when you come across this situation it has to be dealt with.

Photo,s off my mobile...just bought a 10mp digi camera and forgot to take it...Doh!!! :)

Cheers

GH

Its certainly feast or famine round our way, Last night while driving to look at a cover crop we surprised a fox that dashed into rape. Left it a while then went back sat for 5 minutes and counted 4 cubs and the vixen. Sadly wouldn't come close enough but I'll be back tonight for another look. Cubs were a very good size and only 20 feet from a release pen so must be got asap