Shooting rights.

ernyha

Have found out something that could cause a problem in the near future. One of our farmers has rented out the fields of our local farm to another farmer and we have found out that he plans to sow beans in it. The thing is,do we approach the farmer who is renting for permission,with the chance that he says that his regular shooters will be on it,or do we turn up in "ignorance" on land that we have shot over for the past 8 years and hope that we don,t get stopped.Not sure of the best way to tackle this one as it is very good land for pigeons and is very handy for us.Who has the final say in this one,the owner or the guy putting the crops in? :D

I would assume the farmer who has rented out the land, has not rented out the shooting rights, or the mineral rights etc.

However, the farmer who intends planting beans may also feel he has "ownership".

The best thing would be for "your" farmer to speak to the "bean farmer", introducing you as wonderful chaps and expert bean protectors.  :D

i think Cranfields right,ie the farmer rents the land and unless it is specified as such the shooting rights stay with the owner.I've got a similar thing as one of "my" farmers rents an entire farm from a retired farmer who still lives in the farmhouse,as it happens it isnt really a problem as i get on with both of them very well but if i'm shooting there i allways ring them both just to let them know.Look on the bright side you may gain some more shooting by being seen to be concerned about it,best bet i should think is have a word with your farmer first and see what he says :D

Neil & Cranfield,your advice is pretty much what I was hoping to hear. One thing I didn,t mention is that the farm in question is close to the farm where we shot over bean drillings last year(see pic.s in photo section) and as I said the farmer was thrilled with our efforts but later on when we approached him to shoot over his stubbles,he gave the sport to his so called regulars.We have,nt fell out with him as such but are just a bit wary of him saying no again.We get on great with the land owner,so as you suggest,he might be the best one to speak to first.Will have to show our faces  as soon as they hit the rape on one of his other farms and hopefully do a good job. 8-)

• 3 weeks later...
:D During our fruitless drive around for pigeons today we called in to see the farmer who has rented the other farm out.After exchanging small talk etc I approached the subject of the farm near to us that he had rented out. He said that he hadn,t rented it out but they were doing shared farming which sounded a bit like the other farmer was using his labour and equipment to  plant beans on our man,s land.Anyway not being too interested in who did what and who had the proffit from the beans ,I was just going to ask the $64000 question when he said "Iv,e already told him that you two are the only ones who can shoot there" .This remark more than made up for an otherwise unproductive day. :D  :(  :(