Oil in wood

DirtyDeeds

Does anyone know how to get light oil / oil marks out of a gun stock?

I'm after a finish like the Black Onyx advertised on this site, a high gloss which I have not been able to acheive with Tru Oil.

The stock is stripped but appears to have some light oil ingress. I've read somewhere about a technique that removes this, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know?

Yeah, I'm doing that at the mo! But it's along, drawn out process.

I thought I read somewhere about heat drawing it out, but I can't seem to find the info now.

you can use a hair dryer, much mroe heat (vanish striper type thing) and you woudl be looking at damaging the wood. TBH have tried this and found its a pretty useless process. If its oil thats soaked in well then im affraid the best you can prob do is try and darken the rest of the wood with oil to match it.

I use the following method.

Get an old saucepan, wider than the stock butt, 1" full of Methylated Spirits and a 1" paintbrush.

Heat the stock all over but concentrate on the oily area and as the oil bubbles up wash off with spirits - do this until no more oil rises to the surface.

Do not allow the wood to scorch so practice on a scrap piece of wood first. I use a heat gun but am now fairly proficient with it and do not overheat the wood.

Allow it to cool overnight.

Buy some Panel wipe. This is the de-greaser that Body Shops use to wipe paintwork before spraying (about £12 a gallon). This needs to be done the next day before the oil sinks back into the wood.

Put 2" of panel wipe into the saucepan and put in the stock in and keep washing it with a 2" paintbrush for 10 - 15 mins. Take care not to breath in too many of the fumes.

Don't worry about the effect it has - it looks awful - but it will all disappear later.

Allow to dry overnight - the stock may well look as if it is bleached.

If oil stains persists re wash with Panel Wipe.

Sand 360, 400, 600,Wet and Dry paper in succession with the grain until all marks have disappeared. wash with sponge and water and leave overnight to dry.

Do this for three days (ie 3 washes).

Re-sand with 600 grit and then 800 grit and refinish with finish of choice.

if you want High Gloss (mirror finish) and spray it.

If you need instructions please ask.

Any time you wash it down you will raise the wood grain again, that OK but you need to work back through all the paper grits again. Better to use cloth flexible abrassives. I would start 240, 320, and so on. Each piece is a tool and just removes the marks of the privious grit. This abrasive is top quality and you could use it wet if desired but being flexible it will not damage the wood as wet and dry "could" do.

Once you start to oil it or dye it or spray it, if it is patchy just keep adding more dye or oil and it will all tone in after a few coats.

If you are looking for the abrasive most good hardwares with have it or try anywhere that sells woodturning or carving type stuff. Craft Supplies in England will have it or J. D. Boddy. Hope it was OK to say that :good: