Steel fibre and homeloading for clays.

As the cost of cartridges has been edging up i have been assuming the cost of reloading has been matching it.

Today the better half went off to pick up a slab of 21g fibres and is now pulling my ear because the last time she knew how much they cost it was £30, now it was just shy of £50. As I found her looking for the leeloadall this may be the chance to get her doing the hard work reloading...

Is it working out any cheaper to home load 21g clay bangers at present? On the same note how much barrel wear would you really get pushing cheap steel shot ahead of a standard fibre wad? Could a steel load with a standard fibre wad be cost effective down a modern turkish over-under of no great financial or emotional value?

My favourite place to shoot at the moment is fibre only but a cost effective load in plastic would be useful at some other places.

Edited by Wb123

Im currently in Northern Ireland so limited to holding 2000 cartridges at a time, but when living in england did exactly as you say.

Eyeballing gunstar i can replace my claygun for new at £650, perhaps just the barrels for half that, saving £22 per thousand cartridges would go cost effective at 15000 cartridges.

In essence then unless barrel life falls below 10-15,000 cartridges the damage is unlikely to present a financial loss but does save money in the shorter term.

All that said it with likely no proofed recepies available it would likely be a nonstarter for the savings at the amount i shoot.

Eyeballing clay and game it doesnt look like a homeload lead cartridge is going to be cost effective either.

Guest cookoff013

Im currently in Northern Ireland so limited to holding 2000 cartridges at a time, but when living in england did exactly as you say.

Eyeballing gunstar i can replace my claygun for new at £650, perhaps just the barrels for half that, saving £22 per thousand cartridges would go cost effective at 15000 cartridges.

In essence then unless barrel life falls below 10-15,000 cartridges the damage is unlikely to present a financial loss but does save money in the shorter term.

All that said it with likely no proofed recepies available it would likely be a nonstarter for the savings at the amount i shoot.

Eyeballing clay and game it doesnt look like a homeload lead cartridge is going to be cost effective either.

i did something similar with a 3" hull and reloaded all nontoxics with a single powder and single powder charge.... pretty cool.