German Shorthaired Pointers

Big Dog

At this stage I can't buy a dog but hope to get another one within a year. I fancy a german Shorthaired Pointer, but will it suit my styp of shooting. E.g. I shoot a lot with a rifle, rabbits, crows. I shoot crows and pigeons over coys, I do a wee bit of deer stalking.

The dog needs to be a good family dog, good with kids and able to come into the house; my wife insists that this time around that how it will be :good:

It will get walked more than out shooting but will live in the country.

Any ideas where to get on in either NI or ROI??

OH, I if I go for a GSP I want a liver one with a bit of roaning, but more on the liver side.

OH, OH could in retrive and find deer???

BD,

In reply to your questions....absolutely yes.

MY GSP comes with me everywhere, in the beating line, sitting on the peg when I'm shooting, pigeon hide,

walked up rough shooting, stalking, rabbiting.

I personally think they are one of the most versatile gundogs there is, which is why I keep them.

Mine have all been fantastic with kids and adults, and the breed is well known for being a good house dog.

Not necessarily the easiest of dogs to train, but when you get it right they are wonderfull shooting companions.

They are bred to run all day, so they do need a lot of excercise, expecially in the off season. They also need to be kept

occupied, if they get bored they can have a tendancy to eat your house.

At this stage I can't buy a dog but hope to get another one within a year. I fancy a german Shorthaired Pointer, but will it suit my styp of shooting. E.g. I shoot a lot with a rifle, rabbits, crows. I shoot crows and pigeons over coys, I do a wee bit of deer stalking.

It's not really what a HPR type breed is built for, the GSP is most at home walked up shooting over open land. However, with the right training I can't see why not, there's just a lot of other breeds out there more suitable.

The dog needs to be a good family dog, good with kids and able to come into the house; my wife insists that this time around that how it will be :good:

That's all about upbringing and training, and not to do with the breed.

It will get walked more than out shooting but will live in the country.

Perfect, they needs lots of exercise.

OH, OH could in retrive and find deer???

Find, yes, chase while you're pointlessly blowing your stop whistle, yes, retrive probably not.

Hello Big Dog Mine will obviously be a biased answer.

I recently lost my boy Brock to osteosarcoma he was also my first dog but boy what a dog.

I did find him reasonably easy to train but i think most of it was his ability rather than mine.

We did the same decoying, wildfowling, ferreting,peg dog and beating as well.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't perfect and had as many faults as well as good points.

He had amazing stamina in the beating line and just never knew when to stop.

He retrieved all fur and feather on land and water.

He could also be a bit of a wimp at times.

As for a house dog i doubt i will have another dog like him.When people came in he would walk up say hello and just lay down in the middle of the room or lay across peoples feet.

I have got another GSP and at six months he is retrieving off land and water comes back to whistle is used to the gun and now we are just starting on the heel work.This one is harder work than my old boy as he's a bit boisterous at times but he's getting their slowly.

But as browning says lots of excercise and mental stimulation.

You will not get a more effectionate or loyal dog imo.

But like i said my opinion is biased.

Don' discount all the other wonderfull breeds out their that are equally as capable or even better.

I do know of a chap in Belturbet Co Cavan who keeps liver and white ticked Gsp's i could try and rake his number out if you wwant he may be able to help.

I would endorse Brownings comments on GSP's.

They are a superb dog, very versatile and very good with kids, not prone to violent outbursts.

I used to go Pigeon shooting with a guy who kept a GSP, it was such a good dog, it got so excited about shooting, it was the best thing in it's life..!!

We used to go regularly every Saturday, and my mate used to load up his 4 x 4 on the Friday night to save time. After a while the dog had sussed out what was happening, and realised that he would be going shooting the next day when he heard the 4 x 4 being loaded, he would sit up whining all night long in anticipation of the next days sport, the family couldn't sleep, so my mate had to abandon the Friday night loading and do it all the next morning..!!

They are simply a very good all round dog, great at finding, pointing, flushing and retrieving Game, if I was to have a dog, I would certainly go for a GSP.

Cat.

Brock the number would be a great start. I like the dark dogs with a little roney, they would be better for deer work, but look cool too.

I know Belturbet, I used to white water kayak there.

I note I said in my origianal post "retrive and find deer", I didnt mean retrive deer :blink:

A lab would work too but deer see black about as easy as white so I am told.

As this dog will be part of the family the shorter the hair the better, it is to match mine, or what is left. :lol:

Browning your dog lools dark