Testing the waters: .17 or .22 (CZ452)

Wookie

I want to eat my bunnies after I've shot them!

Ok, just read another post about .17 ammo shortages (apparently _again_). Is this common? How variable are the different types and makes of .17 and does the variation between them really make _that much_ difference?

And, the real question: How much does .17 cost? Come to think of it, it's been a long while since I shot a .22; how much does .22 cost per round?

it seems apparently most of the time we have shortages but I've never had a problem. I'd go for the HMR every time over a .22 I can say I hate using them. I just cannot get used to the round ricocheting off grass no matter what angle you fire it at. Then you really are restricted to 100 yard shots and then have to take into account a fair bit of drop. Might as well just point and bang up to 150 yards, after that you have to think a bit but really they aren't even comparable.

I want to eat my bunnies after I've shot them!

Ok, just read another post about .17 ammo shortages (apparently _again_). Is this common? How variable are the different types and makes of .17 and does the variation between them really make _that much_ difference?

And, the real question: How much does .17 cost? Come to think of it, it's been a long while since I shot a .22; how much does .22 cost per round?

I've heard of it a few times on here, but my dealer says he has never run out yet! Maybe some of the shops don't carry that much stock and have shipment problems? As far as I'm aware all the HMR ammo apart from S&B is made by the same company (CCI if I remember correctly). The various types of ammo all have their good/bad points.

Cost wise, I can get 50 .22lr rounds for £2 at the gun club, and HMR costs £10 for 50 at the local shop.

A good info site for the HMR is

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Take a look :blink:

If you are rabbiting for pest control then get a silenced .22lr if you can't afford both, you'll shoot more rabbits and spook less (yes I know about them not knowing where the moderated noise comes from). Conor shot a few rabbits with my .22lr and being used to his own HMR thought that the first shot was a misfire using SAK mod and Eley Subs (dead rabbit so some misfire lol). You won't be in doubt about misfires with HMR :yes: Horses won't hear .22lr. Ricochets will be a continuing problem. It's cheap. Got a loopy trajectory.

HMR is flat, fast, accurate, more expensive and louder in any scenario lined up against a silenced .22lr. Not running down the HMR as it's a fantastic round and I see myself getting one eventually.

Up to you to decide what suits you best for the land and conditions you have for shooting, good luck :blink: