claiming tax back on tools

crossy 666

17 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

Thanks for all the advice. I have found a company that is willing to do it for my but they want 25%+vat for doing it for me so might have to look into it a bit harder I think 

Steer clear of  these companies. They will ask you to sign a form allowing them to deal  with HMRC and  accept rebates on your behalf. 

If whilst this agreement's in place you're due an  income tax rebate, it'll go to them. They'll then take their 25%  plus vat before passing it on to you.

Snap-On dealers were promoting one of these schemes  a few years back, ours had some dolly bird on the van trying to sign people up, she was told not to bother coming  back.

If  you're  on PAYE you're stuffed, I  gave  up trying to claim in the end. 40 years in the trade, I've spent tens of thousands on tools.

Yes you can claim something back but they wont make it easy.

If you wash your own workwear you can claim a fixed amount for that, but unless things  have changed there's  no form,  you have to write (not email)  to HMRC.