Some birch plywood stuff

winnie&bezza

9 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Thanks mate.

Well I advertise in a local parish magazine which covers 4 villages and is £94 a year and have a Facebook business page. I haven’t really pushed advertising as much as I should as I didn’t want to take too much on with my big job. Really need to finish my website. There’s an advertising mag which covers a bigger area but that’s about £300 a 1/4 which I gulped at a bit. 

I'm in a similar position as you. Self employed joiner. Been at it 10 years now. The best advertising is word of mouth. I paid into a local mag that was similar to what you looking at. It was a waste of time. I only got rubbish enquirys. All the time pricing only to be one of 3 quotes, because that' what they'e been told to do. From 3 or 4 years of adverts I have 1 repeat customer from it. 

Stick by your prices and don't be bartered down, if your happy with how much your charging. 

All the best. 

13 hours ago, haynes said:

I'm in a similar position as you. Self employed joiner. Been at it 10 years now. The best advertising is word of mouth. I paid into a local mag that was similar to what you looking at. It was a waste of time. I only got rubbish enquirys. All the time pricing only to be one of 3 quotes, because that' what they'e been told to do. From 3 or 4 years of adverts I have 1 repeat customer from it. 

Stick by your prices and don't be bartered down, if your happy with how much your charging. 

All the best. 

Certainly word of mouth rules. It’s almost instant trust and without the worry of being ripped off etc.

My local village mag has been quite good and worth £94 a year but £300 every 3 moths seems steep. A decorator I know and a very good one, advertised in country living and never had a call in a year so pulled out.

Still getting the hang of pricing but haven’t done badly. Always in your head am I too dear or not charging enough! 

Cheers and you to mate ??

1 hour ago, winnie&bezza said:

Certainly word of mouth rules. It’s almost instant trust and without the worry of being ripped off etc.

My local village mag has been quite good and worth £94 a year but £300 every 3 moths seems steep. A decorator I know and a very good one, advertised in country living and never had a call in a year so pulled out.

Still getting the hang of pricing but haven’t done badly. Always in your head am I too dear or not charging enough! 

Cheers and you to mate ??

Just keep advertising,the parish mag will cover its costs and locals know your there when they need you and those rubbish little jobs could be a tester to see what you are like and a customer is another mouth that spreads the word,eventually you will have enough customers in the bank to keep you busy.

Never under price,only a fool is busy earning nothing and anyone's quote is really their best guess,you get better over the years,trust yourself. 

14 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Yes mate will do. I never turn down any small job as from acorns oak trees grow and all that. Looked at a job boarding out a loft the other day. Really don’t fancy it but can’t afford to give it a miss. 

Less hope so ??

Cheers

If you win that one,need to board it out before the summer and use a led work light.

The legs are expensive. When I've done boarding lofts I've made them. Cut 3x2 studding in half then cut the legs to 150mm. Then make a 'ladder' up out of that. Make loads then you can screw them to the joists at 90 degrees And also you can make the spacing what you want 400mm 450mm or 600mm. I got my timber merchant to rip std 18mm t and g chipboard floor into 4 x2. To make them easier to handle. Bob your boards on hey Presto. 

On 26/03/2018 at 07:17, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Keep at it, you're getting rather good at this bespoke stuff!:lol:

You best type of advertising will be happy customers telling their friends, personal recommendation is the winner every time Mate.:yes:

Oh and keep posting pictures of your work please, we love seeing them.:good:

Sorry Dave, I missed this post! 

Not that word bespoke word again, my most annoying b***** word haha

Yes mate let’s hope so ??

Will do mate but I don’t want be thought of showing off!