buying a second hand jeep grand cherokee

farmers son

dads decided he fancys a grand cherokee, and set me the task of finding out about them on the net :blush: so i thought i would ask you lot! to save me trawlng through thousands of websites!

he knows they are thirsty but this is almost in his favour because it reduces their value considerably and as he will do less than 3000 miles a year in it fuel consumption isn't really a problem!

so have any of you owned one or had any experience of one? anything we should look out for when looking at them?

cheers and beers :blush:

Nick.

Go for the 2.7 diesel, it is a Mercedes engine and excellent, a mate of mine is getting high 30's to the gallon in his Jeep, sadly my Mercedes is only managing 25 mpg, must stop wearing heavy shoes. The only problem area that I am aware of is the rear diff requires a rebuild and there is an after market modification kit for this to prevent the rebuild been required a second time, I would advise you to purchase 4 x 4 magazine, thats what I did prior to buying myMercedes.

Incidentally, prior to the Merc engine been used Jeep had their own diesel engine which I think was a 2.5 or 2.6 which was not very good, hence the change over to Merc.

I have a 2.8 Cherokee LTD for some reason it is weighs more and will tow more than the grand cherokee. I get about 28-30 mpg and for a vehicle weighing over two ton goes like a rocket even with the caravan in tow. The only down side i can find is the servicing cost as you have to use a dealer as most independants dont want to know

I think there's one going spare outside our local newsagent/post office. Well when i say outside it i mean kind of inside it as it used to ramraid the place last night. Give Essex police a bell, they might confirm if it's petrol or diesel.

Have you considered a Mercedes ML270, superb cars and enough information on the forums to repair them yourself as well as purchasing cheap parts etc and there are loads of independants who can repair them if need be, if you did look at Mercs look at the facelift version, 2001 and onwards.