Its that time of year again

Teal

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone else finds this, I realise pigeons do now breed most months of the year but have to say that in London this past week I have seen dozens of woodies starting to build their nests.

To be honest, this is about the time you'd expect them to start in earnest. What are your findings? I'd be particularily interested if anyone has regularily shot squabs since the autumn.

Regards,

Teal.

P.S. we may start to do a bit of research on the site of pigeon squab/juvis %'s of bag, if there is enough enthusiasm/interest. Obviously we know the rough pattern with the greatest number late summer early autumn but it'd be good to get a more accurate (albeit limited) survey done... will post more in next few days.

Teal,

Teal plenty of nest building activity in my neck of the woods (Glos)

Birds started splitting up end of February as it was so mild and rape is well forward in all areas.

I have 2 nests in leylandi outside the office and one at home in ivy covered sycamore.

One has squabs which hatched about 7 days ago.

Also when shooting near Forest of Dean recently ( Mid March) took bag of 43 including 12 Juveniles ( unringed but fully beaked probably August or September 2003 birds) and 1 squab which was definately without doubt a 2004 bird.

A report on the number of young shot in bags would be very welcome.

FM.

Gents,

As someone who is relatively new to woodpigeon shooting, and under my own admission, not the best ornothologist in the world, but willing to learn,

I would be very interested to learn what are the main differences in birds at specific ages.

i.e. How do you tell wether a bird is a squab/juvenile/mature

Cheers,

Browning

Browning

In answer to your questions.

The young of wood pigeon are called squabs. This term usually applies up until they fledge or soon after. On fledging they are generally smaller than the adult bird and can easily be identified by the unfurnished beak and the area around the nostrils which is not developed, at this stage they look a bit prehistoric.

Juvenile birds, again are slightly smaller than the adults but the beak and plumage have developed and they have an almost dove like appearance. The main difference between a juvenile and an adult is the lack of white roundels on the neck area and a much smoother and slimmer line to the nostril & beak. The juvenile also lacks the greenish sheen to the rear of the neck and the breast is generally duller than the adult.

It is not difficult to mistake a juvenile woodie with an adult Stock dove.

Hope this helps. I will try to find some pictures on the web and upload.

FM

Mike,

Thanks for your help. It's cleared things up for me.

It looks like I had a couple of juveniles in the bag this morning, I wasn't certain

wether they were stock doves or not, but after reading your post, and after closer inspection, I'd say they're juvenile woodies.

Cheers,

Browning