Sprucing up a recoil pad.

vole

Before you spend your money try sanding with Wet and Dry paper - start with 240 grit then 400 grit and lastly 600 grit. Use 3 in 1 oil with the last sanding and when finished rub well with cellulose thinners. The thinners (pop into a car spray shop with a jam jar) will soften the surface and bring back the colour BUT don't leave it on or wash it over - just wipe hard all over.

Trying to fit a new pad - well - is very difficult without the proper tools/kit and a very steady hand is also needed so unless you really are a Whiz Kid at DIY forget it.

I presume the stock needs refinishing anyway.

M

Thanks guys and MRY.Youre right the left side of the stock looks a bit worn but the toe of the pad looks uneven and discoloured.I will not attempt anythin but the most simple of jobs with a gun and if i decide to go ahead with a px for it i will try to get his price down.Thanks for all replies.

Something I have done to spruce up a pad without marking the stock is as follows.

Buy a strip of 2-4 thou shim steel. Sufficient to go around the stock and about 6" wide Cut it very carefully to a pattern made from thick paper that will wrap around the stock just in front of the pad and then tape it to the stock with double sided tape. Use the thin Scotch tape type.

Sand your pad without touching the stock and then when you have removed the shim just wipe the pad with cellulose thinners to restore the colour.

You can roll the shim steel put in a kitchen roll inner and save for the next time ( it may need a little judicious trimming though to fir another stock but with 6" a sliver will not be noticed.)

MRY,slightly off topic but because you know one end of a gun from the other I thought i,d ask ;the gun with the tatty stock is an AYA matador I plan to pick up tomorrow,feels right and I can see myself getting on pretty well with it.There is also a pristine Gunmark Kestrel sbs 12g with SST too that seems to fit,at the same price.Which one the better?Thanks very much for any advice or info.