Large Fields

kevin15

I have been shooting on Fields of over 100 acres ( rape ) with woods in the middle. Even if with two of us it seems that we have either good days or really bad days on the good days under a flight line it sometimes feels like there is no need for a hide ( early evening ). On the bad days the birds go after one or two shots never to return  that day. Can anyone shed  any light why this accurs.

Kevin 15

I've found that the birds are filling up with rape just before they roost. On Saturday evening I went to shoot a field of rape, after the landowner had told me pigeons were coming in constantly from 4 pm. I set up at 3, & had a few straight off. The next lot of birds went & sat in the trees & watched. I then knew they were on to me! Having a few more rape fields close by, I went to have a look, & sure enough they were there. The shooting had put them off, & they'd gone to feed on the same crop where it was safe. If you can get under a good flight line the pigeons will fly it all day, but remember your shooting will disrupt the flightline, probably forcing them to use another one. If you have a good wind & the sound of the shot is going away from the incoming birds, the flightline should last longer. Hope this helps a little! :(

kevin 15, Welcome to the forum, I hope you will be a frequent poster.

lazza,s already given you some good advice.

Another tip, if there are two of you, one sets up the decoys and occupies the hide as usual.

The friend travels around the other fields looking for stray birds, sometimes firing a "scare" shot if necessary to keep the birds on the move.

This assumes you have permission to do this, of course.

Alternatively, plan your day with a couple of locations in mind.

Travel light, and when the birds "dry up", move to another location.

The rotary pigeon device helps in this, sometimes its the only decoy you need.

I do this frequently, often returning to a field 2 or 3 times in a day.

It always suprises me that pigeon shooters are often reluctant to move even the length of the field, to improve the quality of the shooting.

I think its because they don,t just put up a hide and set a few decoys, but "set up home". :(

Good Luck.