Portishead Caly Shooting

Oly

A girl at work is trying to organise a clay shooting session for a bunch of newbies near Portishead/Bristol. So far she has a quote of £65 for 50 clays inc. carts & guns etc. with an 'events/experience' type company! They certainly don't attract people to the sport long term with such prices! :blink:

Can you please post the name & phone numbers of a couple of half decent clay grounds that would accomodate a group of new shooters for such an event please so that I can point her in the right direction. :oops:

Cheers

Guest stiv24

Oly

That place in Portishead is a team building company. As well as clays they do quad bikes, go karts etc

Mendip Shooting ground is good as well as Brookbank in Draycott Nr Cheddar. Brookbank has just had a massive refurb so not only a good layout but the club house is great as well.

What Stiv24 said- I often shoot at Brook Bank, and they are willing and able to handle large groups of novices. I haven't been to Mendip for a while, but it's much the same there. It's a bit of a trek from Brizzle, though. You could also try Ladys Wood in S. Gloucs (just North of Thornbury)- a bit closer, good reputation, but I've never been there myself.

I did try to organize a day for some friends a while ago, and it would have cost around £19/25 clays and £35/50 clays at Brook Bank, which includes tuition, cartridges and use of guns- but that was back in March.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply to this but I live just down the road from Weston Lodge (the Portishead shoot) and I believe they do a normal 50 bird sporting shoot on the second Sunday of every month which isn't very well publicised for some reason.

I have been there once about 9 years ago (when I lived further away in Bristol)... since moving to Portishead about 4 years ago I haven't actually been (sounds stupid I know!) but I'm planning to try it out again this weekend so I'll let you know!

I'm planning to try it out again this weekend so I'll let you know!

That would be good to hear as that is where they have now booked!!

Ok, update as promised!...

They do a 60 bird open sporting shoot every 2nd Sunday of the month which isn't very well publicised for some reason and there is no mention of it on the website. Kick off is 10:00 am, not sure when last entries is and unfortunately you have to use Eley Hushpower shells (which they also supply there) due to noise constraints. Personally I find subsonic loads a little anaemic for my tastes and the first few shots always feel a bit strange when you have been shooting 32 gram game loads every week for the last couple of months!

Anyway... we turned up 1000 this morning in a howling gale and showers expecting the worst but the layout is over the brow of the hill on the south slope so you are sheltered from the worst of the weather. The layout is pretty good for a small shoot, plenty of variety, but all fairly close range. It didn't seem overly busy either... we were done in just over an hour.

The best part was the friendly atmosphere. Dave the owner introduced himself and showed us down to the layout and all the trappers were equally welcoming... not a hint of any cliqueyness that you can get at some small shoots.

As you know, they do a lot of corporate/stag-do type stuff too... paintball, quads etc... none of which was there when I last went to the shoot years ago, but the shoot itself was pretty rough and ready back then if I remember correctly, whereas now it is set up very nicely.

Obviously I can't comment on the organised corporate days but today's open shoot was most enjoyable and I wish (living 1/2 a mile away) I had been back sooner!

Alex