Final day of the season

Spr1985

Last Saturday I had my final day on peg for the season. A small friendly syndicate where I purchase a few days as and when they’re available/ I have the spare cash.
The morning started as it always does with everyone meeting in the farm yard, swiftly followed by a scramble for the warm fresh from the aga rock cakes courtesy of the shoot captains mum. And then the peg draw. My daughter was with me for the day so she gets to pick my peg, it seems the manners I have instilled meant she would wait her turn, or more to the point not be seen and therefore waited until everyone else had picked. She drew peg 1  and it was move up three, not a great pick but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Over the space of the day I got a few shots and added a couple to the bag but nothing significant I was simply out of the shooting.  Skip forward to the end of the day and the shoot captain invited me to join a couple of the other lads on the flight pond, checked with the daughter if she’d like to stay on and  invite accepted. Turned out to be the best shooting I’d had all day 😊. Over the space of a couple of hours we had  2 shoveler drakes  6 mallard and 8 teal and a bloody good time, the daughter and the dog also behaved which is always a bonus. So the season ended with smiles all around. I also bit the bullet and prepped a duck for the oven for the first time (I normally just breast and leg) really happy with how it turned out considering it was the first attempt at a fully prepped. 

E7F48E1D-7D1D-4C1C-A343-C6F7AD1E8DCD.jpeg

9311A69A-3BC5-45B6-AE40-15090B55ADD2.png