Clay pigeon traps and thermal cut-out switches

As a small, summer months clay club we run 3 of the Bidwell AutoSporter traps and a Promatic Pigeon single stack trap.

We've been having a few electrical problems with both types of traps.. with the AutoSporter we tracked it down to a poor battery with not enough ooomph in it to get the arm to the roller stop switch… so the continuous circuit was over-heating the wiring.

We've had a similar thing on the Promatic… which has resulted in it popping the 30a fuse regularly (although I think cheap fuses don’t help) and it’s burnt out the jog side of the 3 way switch…..

Speaking to the helpful people at Promatic, I’ve now got a new switch and relay (might as well) to fit.  They also mentioned that the Iris mechanism that prevents the rest of the clay stack dropping might have some dust/dirt/debris slowing the plates down, or the pivots might need servicing. Done that.

So, my real question is whether it would be worth replacing the 30A Blade fuse with a thermal  re-settable version to save over-heating damage and avoid having to look for a replacement blade fuse which is a right pita!

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/durite-circuit-breaker-30a---12v24v----0-381-80-9818-p.asp

The fuse pops when some noodle connects the battery the wrong way round too.. so I’m hoping this will sort that too?

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received…

cheers

fizz

You could give it a go. Shouldn’t be too much trouble to change it back if it doesn’t work. 

give the wiring especially battery related a good check over for any loose connections and check fir hot wiring.  Moving the trap and movement if it’s not rock steady may be causing issues

Edited by ph5172

Thanks… I might well give it a go then….👍

Just back in from cleaning up the wires into the connectors and fitting the new switch and relay and it’s jogging/cycling as it should. Result.😊

Had the old switch apart and cleaned the crud off the contacts.. looked like a combination of general switch crud and spark residue…back together and it’s working, second result! 😊
I’d had the iris mechanism apart this week and think I might just turn up some new brass bushes for the pivots when the brass rod arrives next week, the existing bushes were showing signs of wear. Re-fitting the spring can wait for that. 

Should be good to go… 👍😎

Cheers,

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop