Cocker pup

Popgun

I've got a 8 month old cocker pup i take him beating on a commercial phesant shoot 200-300 birds a day he's very good works

thick cover stays in close, we beat mondays and fridays every week, after a days beating he's nackerd but still keen to go for a walk next morning some one said it's to much work for a pup and it will ruin him, what do you think, he's very good and i don't want to ruin him :good:

I've got a 8 month old cocker pup i take him beating on a commercial phesant shoot 200-300 birds a day he's very good works

thick cover stays in close, we beat mondays and fridays every week, after a days beating he's nackerd but still keen to go for a walk next morning some one said it's to much work for a pup and it will ruin him, what do you think, he's very good and i don't want to ruin him :good:

Pop,

I would say its a little early for him, concentrate on his training and get it spot on first, I made a mistake with my springer and took him too soon, hes now a very good pet, but not a gun dog,

you will have him for the next 10-15 years of working, don't push him too soon.....

NTTF will be able to help out on the training front and what should be done

Adam

whilst cockers are realy enjoyable to work 'i think you are giving him a little to much at that age.my cocker bitch is now 15 months old and although she would work the same length of time as mentioned i limit her to a walk around the land i shoot once a week.in my view they are still young puppies and have seen so many good gundogs ruined through no fault of their own but the owners pushing to much to soon.lay him off a little and you will have a good gundog for a good while longer.they are still puppies and in my view they need playtime as well as worktime.

best of luck

rob

I believe its still very early, my ESS is coming up to 8 months old and i certainly wont be taking her shooting this season.

Want everything near to 100% sound with her before i even think about taking her to one of the shoots i beat for.

Alex :good:

sound thinking that mate why spoil good treasures :good:

It's so hard not to get carried away but there is certainly a lot of wisdom behind not giving the dog too much to early.

I've had my Cocker out flushing pheasants and being shot over until I realised that although she is doing everything well she is still just a pup and i'm rushing her in. I'm now back to reaffirming the basics as I now know she can cope with a shooting day so I can concentrate on steadying her etc. Luckily i've not gone so far as to ruin her but i was headed that way.

I'll still take her to shoots but she'll be on the lead most of the time and rigorously supervised otherwise.

It'll pay off for next season when she'll hopefully be spot on (with, of course, some pigeon retrieves in between).

Dunc

It's so hard not to get carried away but there is certainly a lot of wisdom behind not giving the dog too much to early.

I've had my Cocker out flushing pheasants and being shot over until I realised that although she is doing everything well she is still just a pup and i'm rushing her in. I'm now back to reaffirming the basics as I now know she can cope with a shooting day so I can concentrate on steadying her etc. Luckily i've not gone so far as to ruin her but i was headed that way.

I'll still take her to shoots but she'll be on the lead most of the time and rigorously supervised otherwise.

It'll pay off for next season when she'll hopefully be spot on (with, of course, some pigeon retrieves in between).

Dunc

quite right there mate you can get carried away but i personaly think that one good hours training can be taken away from a dog in one second by a simple mistake,that mistake in my eyes includes too much too soon just enjoy and a little extra time and waiting will bring much much more rewarding results in the long run.

quite right there mate you can get carried away but i personaly think that one good hours training can be taken away from a dog in one second by a simple mistake,that mistake in my eyes includes too much too soon just enjoy and a little extra time and waiting will bring much much more rewarding results in the long run.

Yep, the more i find out about these little dogs (occasional hell hounds!) is that they need time to grow up no matter how good their natural instincts are. I was recently speaking to a friend's dad who is really experienced in training spaniels and he's only just letting his current young springer hunt at 14 months old. He's spent the time so far making sure she's a spot on retriever and obedient as her hunting will be there naturally. That was the final advice which convinced me to forget about having her ready to work this season and concentrating on training and letting her be a pup for a bit.

There's a definate knack to success with these very interesting wee dogs.

Yep, the more i find out about these little dogs (occasional hell hounds!) is that they need time to grow up no matter how good their natural instincts are. I was recently speaking to a friend's dad who is really experienced in training spaniels and he's only just letting his current young springer hunt at 14 months old. He's spent the time so far making sure she's a spot on retriever and obedient as her hunting will be there naturally. That was the final advice which convinced me to forget about having her ready to work this season and concentrating on training and letting her be a pup for a bit.

There's a definate knack to success with these very interesting wee dogs.

interesting they are mate but an absolute treasure to own train and work.

Oh definately, she's brilliant and i meant 'interesting' in a good way. I've never known a dog with so much personality and for every moment when i'm tearing my hair out there are many many more when i'm amazed at how smart and full of character she is!

Oh definately, she's brilliant and i meant 'interesting' in a good way. I've never known a dog with so much personality and for every moment when i'm tearing my hair out there are many many more when i'm amazed at how smart and full of character she is!

i must have her twin because she is the same. when i feel a little down i can guarantee she must know and does anything to please.