What fields to shoot over in may

Hello fellow pigeon shooters,

I will be doing some pigeon shooting over the coming months and I'm wanting some advice on the type of fields that are best to decoy at this time of year.

I noticed a couple of months ago the local rape fields were full of groups about 30-80 pigeons, but these are too high to land on now so I'm interested in where these birds will be feeding.

Is it possible to decoy pasture fields or is it best to decoy fields that have little growth, there's a few fields local to me that seem to have been left, and nothing really growing but the remainder of last years crop.

These are the only fields that I see pigeons on, I will take it that this is common across all counties.

Thanks for the info if u post a reply.

Justin

PM

I dont personally shoot during the spring and summer months as I like to let the blighters reproduce.

I know the topic of a close season has been widely debated and we wont open that old chestnut again...

However my good friend goes out regulary in the spring and summer and shoots pigeon over decoys and I have done it in the past also but many years ago.

He tends to favour setaside if you can find some, ie; that is land which has had a crop grown on it and has been harvested and left for a season.

You will also be able to decoy birds over short pasture particularly if there is clover in it or woodland close by.

Or pea crops which should be well sprouting by now. Shooting over peas can bring very good results at this time as it will sometimes keep the birds together longer.

A rotary would be a necessity in this situation and normal decoy pattern on the ground.

Dont though expect to shoot huge numbers of pigeon as the birds will be all paired off by now and the big flocks dispersed.

Good times to try are early morning first light onwards and late afternoons.

FM.

Hi FM,

thanks for the info, thats what I'm seeing the birds on then..setaside, i have heard that word mentioned in the forum but didnt know what it ment.

New to this so any info is good info at the moment.

As for shooting huge numbers, one will do me for now. I'm used to fishing for hours, sometimes sitting there all day with no results so getting a few will be a magic day out.

What size hide do you recommend, i have half a dozen of them ranging from 5mx3m upto 10mx10m...should i cut them down to certain size, maybe one for a single gun and one for two guns.

whats sizes should they be for the above?

thanks once again

Depends very much on the back drop and what natural cover you have behind and to the sides of you PM. size is not really important ( at least thats what I keep telling my wife!)

If you are there for a long stint take a bit of time to conceal yourself as best you can and make yourself comfortable. I normally take a seat which is a folding fishing stool and a pair of shades/eye protectors if it is bright. I never wear a peeked cap because it can obscure your peripheral vision and you will miss several shooting opportunities from Birds that drop in quickly from a height.

If you have been observing Pigeons feeding on setaside for a few days pick a area close by and set your hide up either the night before or before first light.

The birds sometimes feed very early during the warmer months and will be about on the wing from first light so earlier the better.

Good Luck

FM.