Rook Advice Result

mack

I havnt been to the rookery for a couple of weeks so when I arrived last night I was suprised (pleasantly) that there were loads of fledglings. I had a belt of just 25 shells as I didnt know what to expect, and came away with 20 birds in less than an hour, and I wasnt rushing. Most were taken on the branch but a few were fliers.

It was a case of walking round and spotting the youngsters in the trees or nearby (they couldnt fly far). I bagged a couple of adults too.

Needless the say the farmer was well pleased, so was I - good sport and good experience.

Thanks alot for the advice Fisherman Mike. Everything went as you described.

Ill try and put a photo on later.

Mack

He he Gotta be careful they dont **** on you when they spot the shottie in your hands!!

What do you do with the birds? Are they useful for anything? I know some eat them but I havnt made my mind up about that.

Mack

Glad you had some success with the Flappers.

I shot 12 yesterday evening with my Axor and have de-breasted them and the breasts are steeping in sweet cider as I write.

Tomorrow they shall be pan fried with some garlic oil and served up with some horseradish sause left over from the weekend.

I know they smell pretty disgusting but so do pigs and we all like bacon ( with the exception of our jewish friends! ) :yp: :)

It has been a really good year for the rooks in this area I observed at least three nests with 5 chicks and one with 6.

Photo looks good.

FM.

Hmm Fisherman, Your delicious description of the meal has made me think again about eating Rooks!! I dont suppose thats got anything to do with me starving at work at the moment waiting for tea!! hehe.

Im off again tonight for another sortie, I might save a bird or two and try them.

Ill let you know the outcome!!!

Yeah Im pleased with the photos. Taken with a Nokia 6600 Mobile phone.

Mack

Well just come back from the rookery. Another top night with around 30 birds in an hour between two of us. One at either end of the small wood.

This rook shooting is definately on the calendar. Id recommend it to anyone.

Mack

Yep no worries there. This small wood aint been shot before so its packed at the moment. The last couple of days have made a small impact but I wont over do it now.

The young birds are strong enough to make it to neigbouring pastures now so the bag numbers would seriously decrease anyhow.

Cheers

Mack