has anyone shot the new gambore white gold or black gold steel shot ca

PhilPot

That sounds a bit weird... It's not really the mass that's the problem, but density. Small pellets with a high density is what we need, but steel offers small pellets with a [relatively] low density, meaning they are more susceptible to air resistence. Larger pellets would be heavier (holding more energy down range) but would still not fly as far as the same shot size in lead.

This is how I understand it, too.

They're lighter and less dense, so they slow down and lose height quicker due to the effects of air resistance. I read somewhere that steel actually leaves the barrel quicker, but slows down fast, whereas lead keeps going better.

I am interested in trying some too, so I'll buy a few and see how I get on. I might buy some but just use them for closer targets and keep getting a few lead carts for distant stuff. I really don't fancy my chances with some of the distant targets at Worsley using steel :unsure: :unsure: :angry:

I used to use Gamebore black gold (lead), they DID cost £163. I'm now using my local dealers own-load (also lead) at just £140. I was of course sceptical but they are High Velocity, clean and do the job.

Have any of you considered trying some of your dealers own-loads instead of top brands? I realise some are a waste of lead but not all. And at worst they could still be better than steel!

Guest The Outlaw
I used to use Gamebore black gold, they DID cost £163. I'm now using my local dealers own-load at just £140. I was of course sceptical but they are High Velocity, clean and do the job.

Have any of you considered trying some of your dealers own-loads instead of top brands? I realise some are a waste of lead but not all. And at worst they could still be better than steel!

Hey furball, me and Jessie James just picked up 4k Winchester silvers for £160 a 1000.

Plastics only though if you want some we could get an order in and pick them up when they come in.

See you sunday

Tony

No, what started this thread was the cost of lead,cartridges are now 50% dearer than last year, myself and others are going to start shooting steel soon, I /We were asking if anyone has shot them and were asking for feedback on performance etc, I dont think other than for close stuff, Skeet etc, they wont be much bottle for trap, and far out sporting targets, I will be delighted to be proved wrong. Cheers Bud.

Anyone Tried/Tested these or other steel shot yet???