Fishing Chesil beach

chunk

Myself, a mate and me bro are thinking of an expedition to fish chessel for cod in the new year;Jan/Feb time. What are the best conditions? Can it be fished effectively in the day or is it a night venue. Hows parking,; is it paid for and expensive or free and anywhere. Baits; whats effective at that time of year and is there a shop nearby that can provide.

Unless i have time to ride over on my bike to recce the place we will be arriving blind so to speak, but want to try and ensure that everything is in place that can be to have a chance of success.

Anyone fish it regularly. Any advice greatfully received. :good:

Andy.

does fish in the day but better at night.....for cod you want a bit of a lumpy sea i recon and fis using a pennel type rig and nice big baits.

Might find your self plauged by pout all night long though and small whiting. Also go in the week otherwise youl have to fight to the death for a decent spot on the beach

I normally use the bait shop on the RHS on the Portland road cant remember what it is called, for my bait.

I fish down by the swannery in the summer months, you can park the car and then just walk up the planking to the beach.....summer fishing was always good just right of this walkway but no idea about cod fishing in the winter as i useually go to Lady Bay Clevedon or down under the Severn Bridge area around Bristol.

But sounds an excellent idea for a bit of night fishing

I like the idea of an overnighter, and can fish in the week no probs as can our mate, but bruv has trouble getting ad hoc leave so we might be stuck with a friday or saturday night which i would think will be popular especially if theres a comp or something on.

Cheers Andy. :angry:

Guest The Outlaw

I have only fished it once and got Pouting, small cod, and about 3 whiting.

I prefer the admiralty wall at Dover.

You get taken out there by boat an left all day or all night and there is a chap on there that does a fry up and soewhere to get warm.

It is the harbour wall between the ferry routes out of Dover harbour.

Cod Conger Doggies Huss Pouting and whiting Wrasse from the seaward side and flatties from the harbour side.

Great fun in the sumer with some mates and a few tinnies.

Tony

I have only fished it once and got Pouting, small cod, and about 3 whiting.

I prefer the admiralty wall at Dover.

You get taken out there by boat an left all day or all night and there is a chap on there that does a fry up and soewhere to get warm.

It is the harbour wall between the ferry routes out of Dover harbour.

Cod Conger Doggies Huss Pouting and whiting Wrasse from the seaward side and flatties from the harbour side.

Great fun in the sumer with some mates and a few tinnies.

Tony

Sounds good. I`ll look at that for the summer, its often mentioned in the fishing mags. Like the look of Dungeness as well, it used to be a regular expedition venue for a few chaps at work before i started there.

Parkey, just Google earthed the spot. Is that the A 354 portland beach road. Looks like lots of parking and looks like some large tanks etc at the side of the road. Should be quite straightforward to find as well if i AA route planner.