So the next few weeks should be sporty...?

JONO

Dear all experienced decoyers and shooters of our respected and delicious blue/grey quarry....

I'm still learning pigeon cycles and seasonal behaviour and wouldn't mind confirming a few details, if you have a mo...

The past few weeks have been lean and opportunistic in terms of birds shot - most taken hidden on drop offs, roosting/resting trees - a meagre (yet still satisfying) bag during the period when most are loved up (so I'm not going to worry about having the odd one).

I understand that the young squabs should be almost airborne and decoyable along with the parent birds but was wanting to maximise the opportunity with decoys.

When should these birds be hitting the fields, which fields are they likely to target and are there any further factors and aspects which require taking into account at this point of the year?

Yours in anticipation

Jon(o)

Jono,

In my experience the young hang around the nest area for a few weeks after fledging.

There are two fledglings in an ash tree about 100 yards from my office window which left the nest about 8 days ago and are quite capable of flight but are still expecting to be fed by the parents.

The young tend to hit the feilds bigtime with the other flocked up adult birds in autumn and winter

Early season young will be few and far between in the fields before this time with some appearing on laid barley or wheat, or flayed Rape late summer and in the stubble fields August onwards.

Keep your gun clean

FM.