Chokes

leon

R/E Chokes

If it is any help to you Leon the turkey choke in my opinion is a choke that I very rarly use I have a full set of chokes for my winchester auto that I use for pigeons one of them is an extra extra full the american turkey choke.

When I purchased the gun I patterned it using all the chokes.

The xx full performed almost like a rifle it gave a very dense pattern up to 60 yds

it is fine for sitties ect but to tight for wingshooting.

The full choke is better at 45 -50 yds with the right ammo

The modified is a great all rounder a great pigeon choke this is half choke

The improved modified is my most used choke it is a little tighter than half choke

and very deadly with 32gr of ss6 over decoyes.

The improved cylinder is a great choke though not as good for range as the others

is exellent when flighting if the right ammo is used it will account for almost anything

I am of the oppinion that the right ammo for the job in hand is the key to success

we all shoot the cheapest ammo at pigeons but I do not use it for game For that I cannot use my auto so I use my o/u game gun that is choked half and three quarters I use lyavale express with good results. Before the lead ban for wildfowl I used the same make 42 grms ss3 for geese and ss 5 for duck with very good results. The point that I am trying to make is that the o/u with good ammo is as good as the winchester with turkey or full choke. Think about it for a while.

It may be beneficial to try some heavy loads and compare them with various chokes before buying other chokes to achieve the same results.

Peter

Cheers for the replies.

Stoggieman,

Its not for wing shooting its for foxing mate have the same turkey choke for my mossberg and its outstanding for the job so I want one for the new benelli now, but thanks for the advice mate.

leon