MP3 player

JohnGalway

I wold have thought the issue here is that portable MP3 players are designed to drive headphones and not passive external speakers. There will obviously be some degree of difference between different models, but I would have thought even the loudest would still be considerably quieter than you need it to be.

If it were me, I would get something similar to this from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=...7&doy=31m12

Solder it up with a 9v battery connector and a male and female 3.5mm mono headphone jack and that should amplify your volume from your pink MP3 player condsiderably. You could probably get away with a lower power amp such as the 18w version, but if doing that, I would put on 2 x 9v battery connectors in series to get max performance. This would give you a very effective amplifier solution for between £10 and £20

Alternatively conside buying an active speaker that has an amplifier built in.

If you have any questions on the electronics side, just PM me.

Hi folks,

I bought a cheapie MP3 player in Tesco, despite it being ever so slightly pinkish :good: I had high hopes for it. Turns out the volume is absolutely rubbish. If I have my tv on at a volume level that's hard to hear the MP3 can't get above it when connected to my (what I think is good quality) Callmaster plug in speaker. Balls to you Tesco.

So, I need a decent quality small (I carry enough gear as I am) MP3 player so I can use my newly downloaded (Varmintal) MP3 calls. Can't cost the world though :lol:

What do ye reccomend?

Thanks in advance,

John.

PS, any other sources of downloadable MP3 calls would be good too besides Varmintal :lol:

John, I bought an mp3 from asda together with a set of amplified speakers in their sale a year ago, £20 the lot it works fine, the player sits in the speakers and they fold up for carrying.

They were white but splashed some green paint on them and look and sound the biz.

:lol: D2D

Thats strage, working for me, but could be a cookie thing. Try going to the Maplin website and searching for part code N67AW. The 18W one is N66AW. If it were me I would use the 18W model as it could make use of 2 x 9v batteries in series to give maximum amplification and it also has the a larger loudspeaker impedence range (4 - 16 ohms). Do you have a multimeter to test the impedence of the callmaster speaker, or does it say anywhere on it? If not perhaps someone here has the same unit and a multimeter to test with.

Let me know if you have any further questions.