Where have all the pigeons gone

stevethefish

Where have all the pigeons gone? last week there were flocks of 500 plus all over hammering the rape everywhere. Went out on Wednesday and there were just the odd flock of 10 to 15 and even the magnet struggled to pull them in. Drove about 3 hours spotting and just the same, odd small flock, maybe they are getting balled up on the muddy land and moved to drier parts. who knows.

Anyone had the same problem? just hope them come back soon it's just not on spoiling what was meant to be a good session. :good:

Went out yesterday again spotting, saw one flock of 600+ on estate land where I don't shoot, will have to make enquiries one thinks, it's a stab in the dark I know but !!!!!

The thing that puzzles me is these birds devastate crops and they sometimes just get ignored, a decent pigeon shooter will have a big impact on a flock like this, even if it's just to move them on, come on you farmers give the lads a chance.

We still have the same large amounts of pigeons round our way as we have done for the last month or so. Maybe with the cold weather earlier on, knowing Lincolnshire is a bit flat and therefore windswept, they have gone further in land for shelter, either that or as CC posted feeding on cover crops that have blown over. Pigeons love maize, and some good sport is shooting over flailed maize strips.

Keep looking though, you never know.

SS :)

Unfortunately for the local farmers there are still many hundreds on the rape. On the 600 acres I shoot the farmer has 3 large fields of rape and it is hard work trying to keep them off. He has gas guns in the two of the fields closest to the farm and I tend to take the furthest field away. He helps as much as possbile by periodically firing few shots during the day to try and keep them moving from these two fields.

I am very lucky as the the farm where I shoot is only 4 miles away and as I quite often work from home, I can pop out for a few of hours during the week as well.

The major problem is there are also a lot of rape fields surrounding the area I shoot and the the farmers only seem to put out the gas guns. Have not heard anyone else shooting. It needs a few other people out there shooting to keep them moving.

Shot 27 yesterday (in 5 hours) and went for an hour this morning and shot another 8. Unfortunately couldn't spend too long out as had to fetch my daughter from Ipswich.

Just got home and there is a message on the answephone from another farmer who has got problems with pigeons and asked if I could help. My name was passed onto him by a friend of mine who doesn't shoot but knows I go whenever I can.

As a matter of interest the farmer of the land where I shoot commented the other day that he can never remember there being so many pigeons about.

Just been to the estate office to try to get permission on their land, drew a blank on Blankney estate just as I thought, should have found the contact details of the gamekeeper might have had more luck. Anyone out there got gamekeeper details for Blankney and Nocton estates in lincolnshire?

Where have all the pigeons gone? last week there were flocks of 500 plus all over hammering the rape everywhere. Went out on Wednesday and there were just the odd flock of 10 to 15 and even the magnet struggled to pull them in. Drove about 3 hours spotting and just the same, odd small flock, maybe they are getting balled up on the muddy land and moved to drier parts. who knows.

Anyone had the same problem? just hope them come back soon it's just not on spoiling what was meant to be a good session. :)

It's the same up here, been out all day and only seen two dozen pigeon and they were high up and not interested. I checked the other fields and nothing, o well maybe next time cheers Maxi.