hw77

gazza

I bought a second hand hw77 a couple of months ago and being new to air gunning I've just used it as I got it apart from having a go at setting up the scope .

Anyway today I had it chronographed and its only registering 9.2 I assume this is lb's my question is what do I need and who do I get it from to get it back to near 12 lb's . I would like to do it myself so any help and advice would be greatfuly recieved . :)

Gary

Hi Gamebag , thanks for the reply , in answer to your questions the rifle is a 177 , the person in the shop shot the rifle twice through the chronograph using the same brand pellet ( RWS superdome ) that they advised me to use . As to the age of the rifle I've no idea unless the serial number holds any clues , this is 1026282

regards , gary. :)

Ok the best thing for you to do is to take the rifle to the shop get the fella to take a look at strip it down & take a look at it see what he thinks about it I used to own a hw 77 so I know it should be knocking out 11.5 - 12ftlbs it could be the seals that have gone on the rifle, if thats the case it's a cheap job to do to replace them if its the main spring thats gone your looking at some money but for god sake make sure you get the right spring for the job if you get the wrong type of spring you could push your rifle over the legal limit 12 ftlbs. This will make your rifle an illegal wepon the law is seriously ing down on fire arms that are held illegaly & as the law has the ability now to check the ftlbs on an air rifle with any brand of pellet they chose you only have to be a .1 over the legal limit & your in serious trouble. :)

Anybody sticking an OX spring in their gun needs a labotomy. They are awful springs. You have two options. Take it apart and fit either a standard spring and piston seal (don't skimp on a couple of quid of seal while you're at it) - £20 or so or best bet is to order a Webley Venom stage 1 kit with a superior spring and seal set for about £55. The shops advice to use a certain brand of pellets is absolute cobblers. How do they know what pellets will group well in it from two chrono tests. Shops putting out **** advice like that should be starved of custom. Their advice should be to try several brands and find the one that suits the barrel best.

• 2 weeks later...

agree with 1 of 5 's comment on the different brands of pellet. i had a 77 a few years back and i thought wasps were a good brand until i got it chronoed.....ahhh just 9.4 fpe........then the guy suggested i try another brand, like h&n's or bisley. he even helped me out by trying a few from some damaged tins..........turned out the rifle loathed wasps and anything heavy.......so a good place to start is with lighter "quality" pellets. just find a list of pellet brands and weights and cross the unlikelys off.....or failing that ask others what theres prefere, then your half way there :)

If you want to strip and rebuild it the venom kit is exellent and comes with a fitted spring guide and top hat a modified piston head and spring sleave. If you want the cheaper option get a quaility mainspring and new piston head (makesure you get the correct one as Weihrauch changed the bore diameter a couple of years back and an old style head is now a slightly slack fit in a newer gun and vice versa, this was 2001ish i think) then strip clean and relube correctly, reassemble and re chrono