how to get pigeons to feed where you are

dieseldave

On our farm alot of the corn fields are right next to each other so when you set up in one field after a few shots they all leave which ever field your in and move on to the next one with out coming back. I have tried putting fertiliser bags where they are feeding in other fields but it doesnt seem to help.

Have used rope bangers over rape fields (courtesy of the farmer) but wouldn't use them over ripe crops and dry stubble.

When they explode they are just like large banger firewowks and the sparks and smouldering cases could easily start a fire on the dry stuff.

The art isn't trying to get the pigeons to feed where you are, Its setting up in the place the pigeons are wanting to feed.

If you spend a half hour longer looking for flightlines and observing their habbits, even over several large fields the birds will favour a certain area over others. Try watching for a flightline along a hedge or coming in from a nearby wood. It's a similar problem we face on the Winter rape, but good bags can still be picked up by a single shooter with several fields to choose from if he takes time to set up in the right place to start off with. If you find that spot the deeks should do the rest. :)

Mark.

I had the same problem, I now take another shooter when possible and this helps to keep the birds moving around. Try setting up about 1000 yds apart, we found that any missed birds usually came over the other waiting gun (but not always).

I might buy some bangers at the game fair for the winter months when my shooting partener cant get up on those sub zero snday mornings!!!

See you at Blenheim!!!!