Rubbing salt into the wound.

stevethefish

Hi, I went out decoying over rape yesterday, set the deeks up and the magnet and it looked irresistible. I set up in good time to catch the early morning flurry but for some reason they just were not having it. A couple of days earlier there were hundreds in the area so I expected some decent sport but was I in for a shock. After about 2 hours I had just 2 birds and was getting rather niffed off to say the least.

As I was looking around I saw a rabbit hop out of the hedgerow about 30 yards away, I thought about blasting it but just watched it for a while. Then I saw something great, a stoat shot out of the brambles and chased after the bunny and grabbed it, boy did it squeek. Seeing as I hadn't got mutch to show for the day I legged it up the bank and after scaring the stoat off picked up the half dead rabbit, necked it and went back to the hide. I threw the rabbit around the side of the hide and thats when I got the biggest shock, a buzzard swooped down within 10 feet of the rabbit and scared me half to death. I had seen the buzzard take rabbits in this area before but never thought they would come so close to humans.

15 minutes later I saw the stoat again and heard another rabbit squealing just seconds afterwards, so at least we both got a meal out of it.

When I got home and dressed the rabbit I noticed it had teeth marks in it's neck, been previously peppered with shot and had got the healing signs of mixy, it just wasn't the rabbits day!

I think next time I'll take the ferrets and learn a lesson from the stoat.