Out Shooting Yesterday

Cosd

Went out yesterday with a friend, we've both just recently started and this was my third time shooting, but only the first time I took any kit with me other than the clothes and gun. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now picking up tips and asking some silly basic questions to you guys out there.

So I'd been surfing the net and bought the following:

12 shell woodie's

2 full body flocked woodie's (for lofting poles which I haven't bought/made yet)

some Eezy wobblers

A home made bouncer (bits bought from a garden centre)

Spin bucket seat

Large bag

Pop up hide

Got to the farm which is 60 miles away for 7:00am and it was just getting light. Got all the gear from the boot of the car and headed for the spot I'd been planning in my head for the last week. The farm we're shooting on only has wheat on it at the moment so even the last two times hasn't been anything like the days you guys talk about.

As I was walking to my spot (boy was all that gear heavy) I noticed about three seperate flocks flying over the next field to where I was heading so decided to go there instead as I thought this might be a flight line.

The wind was blowing toward the area I decided to set up hide on, so I paced out the distance and set up the deeks in a horse shoe pattern all facing away from me looking into the wind.

Now, the reason for writing this post isn't because I bagged "100" birds, but just to say that even though it was an extremely quiet day, I was really pleased that, with what I have learn't from your threads, I did manage to set up a decent pattern that DID work. Birds were not feeding in the field, there really wasn't vey much flying about at all, yet the deeks definitely attracted them.

Had I been more experienced I reckon I should of downed another 4 or 5 if I'm totally honest. A couple I just didn't shoot at because my reaction was just too slow, and two others I really should have hit but missed. I'm sure one of the two that got away poked it's tongue at me as it flew past, but hey ho, it's probably telling it's mates about me now :lol:

I shot one with my third shot and used it on the home made bouncer, then got another with the fourth shot.

So went home with just two plus one my friend got, in total we only shot about eight cartridges between us.

I know 2 birds is nothing to write about, and I didn't shoot any more than the last time, but the ratio of cartridges to birds has improved and I still enjoyed it anyway.

Can't wait now till next Sunday, hence up at this time writing this :good::lol: :lol:

If the truth be known big bags are a thing of the past it not about the numbers it about enjoying your self and being out in the country side and seeing things you wouldnt see on the tele well done and enjoy

For me that's not the case. if I only get one Rabbit I get p1**d off as I see the damage the little beggers do and I know the farmer wants rid. Although I am lucky and the Farmer does not really care if I get huge bags, I feel that I must show results in return for his kindness.

I only have one permission now where I can shoot without some sort of self conscious pressure, and I tend not to shoot there that often as I have 2.5K acres which need serious control :good:

winchester you are so right enjoyment, enjoyment, enjoyment, after 20 years of pigeon shooting i still can,t sleep night before i,m so exited about going and talking about big bags

whose bothered (cost to much for carts :lol: ) my biggest bag in 20 years is 38 birds but still enjoyed every single minute wish i was 20 years younger so i could do it all again.

ps been out today shot 9 and going out in morning 7 oclock (no sleep again) :good:

cjw

If the truth be known big bags are a thing of the past it not about the numbers it about enjoying your self and being out in the country side and seeing things you wouldnt see on the tele well done and enjoy

The farmer who owns the land doesn't actually allow anyone to shoot this 300 acre bit of land, it's through my shooting partners dad that we're allowed there. The farmer's his friend and that's how we managed to get permision. So I don't think he's that bothered on the amount we shoot.

The farmer is on holiday at the moment, but when he returns he said that he'll be taking us down to another farm he owns where he does pheasant drives from. He doesn't normally allow anyone to shoot there other than his organised days, but again he said we can go to this farm as well (off season) as often as we like.