Ghillie Suit DIY Questions

xyBa

Hi, first of all I'm new to the forum and it seems like a great place. Me and a friend were thinking about making a Ghillie Suit each for general use with our shoots. I have a few questions:

1) I'm assuming 1mm Jute thread will do the job...? see below

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a9/62/3d41_1.JPG

2) Where is the best place in the UK to get the netting for the suits?

3) Will 11 pounds of Jute thread be enough for two suits, including legs body and head?

4) What is the cheapest you can get some BDUs and where?

5) Also, does anyone know where I can find suitable fabric dye for a woodland combination?

Thanks, even if you can only answer one of the questions, they will all help.

:blush:

Edited by xyBa

1 - if you already have some cammo net then make use of this, cut it into sections to cover the back and shoulders and strips for your arms.

Sew it onto your jacket and onto the legs of your trousers.

This provides the basic frame work and base for your suit.

Get your thread - 2 free be hessian sacks were what I used from a garden centre - they came with stones in. afte it was stripped out and cut to various sizes.

COLOURON DYE - found in most supermarkets or HOBBY CRAFT. brown, black and various shades of green. dye the stuff and away you go.

Takes a good few hours to make, but once you do then you are laughing............Ive had a rabbit run right over me when wearing mine. Oh, and one come in from about 40 yards to within 6ft of the end of the rifle.

Dont forget your gloves - I find that a simple stich or two of some camo net will suffice.

1 - if you already have some cammo net then make use of this, cut it into sections to cover the back and shoulders and strips for your arms.

Sew it onto your jacket and onto the legs of your trousers.

This provides the basic frame work and base for your suit.

Get your thread - 2 free be hessian sacks were what I used from a garden centre - they came with stones in. afte it was stripped out and cut to various sizes.

COLOURON DYE - found in most supermarkets or HOBBY CRAFT. brown, black and various shades of green. dye the stuff and away you go.

Takes a good few hours to make, but once you do then you are laughing............Ive had a rabbit run right over me when wearing mine. Oh, and one come in from about 40 yards to within 6ft of the end of the rifle.

Dont forget your gloves - I find that a simple stich or two of some camo net will suffice.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will just get some Jute thread to save time. Looks like ASDA it is for the dye.

ive tried asda they dont do them, you need to go to some diy shop and look for DYLON or some thing similar like what was said above^

and for the netting i used an old haynet from the horses :good: but i never told you that :lol:

and i agree, a ghillie suit and the rabbits have no chance :lol:

Cheers

I've made a few ghillie suits during my time in the army. Cheap, cheerful and extremely effective:

Get your hands on an army surplus jacket, preferably with a hood - ebay or similar.

Get some hessian sacks (army sandbags are ideal), and a glue gun.

Lay the jacket on the floor and apply cut up strips of hessian to it using glue on top edge only.

Cover the entire jacket and hood then dump it in the garden for a day or two. Let it get wet, mucky and smelly, ideally until the hessian starts to fray.

Viola! One perfect ghillie suit (minus the trousers). You can buy a mesh, airtex type material from some surplus stores for about £40. Don't bother - its a rip off and they fall apart.

my big bro bought that off ebay last week and its really good.. exept for the postage :L i dont think it will do 2 suits tho maby just 1 (trousers, jacket and head) heres a pic a the gun wrap i made because i was bored but am happy with it :unsure:

theres a pic of the roll and its good to dye aswell and weighs a tonne :rolleyes:

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

GM

yeah thats what it means...

and about 300m per ghillie suit is fine.

remember to not overdo it , its quality not quantity :good:

and check what ground you will be shooting on and try and match the colours :lol:

Cheers

Lew

So 300m of either, whether it be jute or burlap?

Thanks a lot.

you put as much as you want on it ad say 200yds minimum, its upto you really and if its not enough put some more on and if its too much take it off .. simple really <_< but you will need a hell of allot of patience.

GM

Oh well I just order 600m of the stuff, haha!

That is to make 2 suits along with rifle covers.