17 hmr wind question

Guest fred101

no i havn't missed anything well not recently :rolleyes: im just thinking about zeroing at the closer range,it's hard to get a day without any wind,,

In that case your best bet is to put your target so that you are shooting either straight into or away from the wind direction. Purists will tell you that shooting into the wind will make your bullets strike lower and and vice versa, but in practice, unless it's blowing a hooley, it's not worth worrying about at 100 yds.

You can work it out since the ballistics of the .17 HMR pill are known, but it's bloody complicated "maffs" and it's a Sunday :rolleyes:

In a direct crosswind of 10mph I would expect the .17 HMR to be deflected about .2" roughly - as has been said not enough to miss a rabbit really.

Guest rabgoat

I went out today for a bit of zeroing,,at first there was a bit of a wind at times from the right,used the small target at the bottom first,tried to shoot when it was at it's calmest,,started at 30 yds fired two shots hit 1/2 an inch low,,went out two 50 yds fired three shots 1/2 inch high,,went out too 100 yds fired two shots hit pretty much at the rite level but 3/4 inch to the left,,On the bigger target then i fired 4 shots at 100 yds,two of them in the center,, by this time the wind had pretty much went away,,then i fired two shots at 150 yds to see how much of a drop there would be,the tnt dropped 3 inches and the fed vshok 3 1/2...Over all pretty much pleased with the last shots at 100 yds......edit bob300w i'll try your tip the next time and shoot into the wind and see how it goes, :rolleyes:post-5826-1205702189.jpg

Edited by rabgoat