5 Month old laptop

magman

Acer aspire 5310 freezes on the start up page

Do you send it back for repair or demand a replacement ?

Pin or Garyb your thoughts please as you seem to be in the no :lol:

My mate bought a brand new laptop after a week of having it, it broke down, dont know what was wrong with it but it wasnt his fault, so he sent it back to the shop to get it repaired and they said they will fix it within a week. A week passed and they said it will be another week. So again another week went by. This time my mate wasnt going to wait any more and demanded that they give him a new one in which they did so.

So let them try and fix if they cant get a replacement.

Edited by dustyfox

Acer aspire 5310 freezes on the start up page

Do you send it back for repair or demand a replacement ?

Pin or Garyb your thoughts please as you seem to be in the no :lol:

You need to do a system restore to a date before it failed.

Try that and see what happens. If that does not work then

think about takeing it back.

Cheers taz.

You need to do a system restore to a date before it failed.

Try that and see what happens. If that does not work then

think about takeing it back.

Cheers taz.

And he will do that how, considering it's not starting up :lol:

It is possible but you'll need a Windows CD to boot from, what to do next depends on what version of windows it is....

That all depends on what is wrong with it.

Similarly with cars, computers seem to end up being very hard to get replaced if they are faulty. I'd know, I worked in a very well known firm who sell a lot of really **** computers, in all the time I was employed there I probably authorised 2 replacements out of 5000 complaints.

The situation is incredibly complicated, see the likelihood is that the goods you have been sold are not faulty, however the software you have chosen to accept the licensing agreement for, has had some problems.

Purely theoretically, if you could prove that Windows Vista was defective, then you'd be entitled to a refund (for windows, not the laptop). It really all depends on what is actually wrong, unless you are an expert you stand very little chance of just getting a replacement.

Striking up the car analogy again (and I ain't saying this is what's happened, just an example) :-

If you drive the car out of the showroom and don't look right before turning left, and someone hits you, you wouldn't go back to the garage and demand a replacement car.

Similarly if you buy a car you are expected to have it serviced, as well as perform basic checks yourself. If you fail to check tyre pressures and you have a blow out, you wouldn't try and claim a new car from the company who sold it to you.

With computers it is very similar, it's a purchase which you are expected to look after, tend to and keep a check on (virus / malware / etc) - if you don't then like the car analogy you can't really expect them to provide you a replacement, if it's not actually defective.

The situation is so complicated, it is something I have been to court over previously and take it from me it's not worth your time. If you'd like a professional opinion on the laptop I'd be happy to take a look at it for you and compile a report.

Edited by pin

Thanks for your time Pin :lol:

So it looks like i should send it back :lol: Can't expect you to waste your time for me mate but thanks for the offer :lol:

After pressing f2 to enter setup 2 parts come back as biased (Spelling)

But now it wont get that far and freezes on the Acer screen :yes:

Thanks anyway :blush:

Sorry for butting in but if it's freezing on the Acer screen then that's not a good sign because that suggests the problem is being encountered before it even starts to read what's on the hard disk... i.e. it could be hardware related. Dodgy memory sometimes causes this.... could be worth trying to re-seat the memory modules?

Do you have anything important on the hard disk not saved elsewhere? Do you have a factory restore disk?

The only way to truly rule out a software problem is to reinstall using the restore disk, but obviously this will wipe the hard disk in most cases.

I see you are in Cheshire... are you anywhere near Runcorn? I've got a server install to do in Runcorn in about two weeks so if you are still stuck I might be able to help. At the very least I have equipment to recover your data off the hard disk (assuming the hard disk hasn't failed!) so you won't lose your data if you need to reinstall.

Alex

Pin after pressing F2 , nothing happens now just says searching :lol:

As for the offer being genuine i no it was :yes:

Just checked and never even got a reboot disc :lol:

Have rang the company and been told to send it back under warrenty ,as it seems a product fault .

Pin your a star mate but only asked for advice and don't expect you to waste your own time on me :lol:

Many thanks regards Rob

Alexm is very likely to be right, it's not POSTing (power on self test).

If you've anything on there you value then take him up on his offer of data transfer / recovery first - terms and conditions exclude personal data on the machine and very often people send in laptops and try complaining that they come back at day one state.

Edited by pin

alexm

Nothing important on there as its the daughters laptop ,all she wants is it working again :yes:

As for being near runcorn about 20 mins away ,so if you fancy a brew when your here pm me when your around and i will have the kettle on :lol:

Ok, no worries! Like I said it will be a couple of weeks most likely (if HP pull their fingers out :lol:) , but I'll PM you when I have a date in case you are still stuck! :lol:

And if I was you I would wipe the hard drive before you send it back or you could be a victim of identity theft. Alot of people leave valuable information like name and address, bank details, date of birth, mothers maiden name. Basically everything to steal your identity.