.17 legal for fox?

Browning GTS

well i dont own a 17 hmr nor have i used one

i guess its up to the person to whether as he/she can place the shot well enough to drop the fox i dare say if they are dropping rabbits out over 100 yards with clean kills then i guess a well placed shot from a 17 should pretty much drop the fox aswell

i own a .22 rimmy and when out lamping i always carry some zapped up cci stingers 32grain buellet or 40 grain bullet going at about 1800fps is ample enough to do the fox at close range (40grain stingers not available in shop so i load my own just incase anyone is wondering where do i get cci stingers with 40 grain bullet)

it also states on my cert .22 with sound mod for vermin

and as far as im concerned fox where i shoot is vermin(the farmer calls them vermin aswell and tells me just to shoot the bloody things ) tho i must admit most the foxes i have bagged have been done with the 12guage and sg shot and AAA`s

so at the end of the day i guess its up to the individual whether to shot the fox or not

Well its looks like i`ve taken the lid off a metal container full of long pink wriggely things here :lol: I think i will put .22lr and .17hmr on my ticket as vermin control and go from there. If i get my FAC ok i think a call to BASC might help :D As i do not want a larger caliber and fox are only an after thought anyway. Thanks again for the help :lol:

I have .17hmr for Fox on my FAC, but not .22lr. I suggest you apply for your FAC for vermin and Fox for both calibres. Add a note saying that you understand the limitations of a rimfire, but feel a centrefire would be unsuitable for use on some of your permission where you will sometimes need to take the odd close range Fox. Ask them which calibre they suggest would be best for this role. If you put the ball in their court and make them feel important by asking them to decide for you, the chances are they will overlook the fact that neither is ideal and grant you one or the other :lol:

I have .17hmr for Fox on my FAC, but not .22lr. I suggest you apply for your FAC for vermin and Fox for both calibres. Add a note saying that you understand the limitations of a rimfire, but feel a centrefire would be unsuitable for use on some of your permission where you will sometimes need to take the odd close range Fox. Ask them which calibre they suggest would be best for this role. If you put the ball in their court and make them feel important by asking them to decide for you, the chances are they will overlook the fact that neither is ideal and grant you one or the other :D

Now that makes sense :lol: :lol: :D